Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail converted to Outlook

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 graykat

graykat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

I used Hotmail for years then battled to keep "Live Hotmail" when their "improved" service came on line. Yesterday even Live Hotmail went on the fritz. Today when I checked my email Microsoft informed me that my Hotmail/Live had been converted (unilaterally) to OUTLOOK.

I despise Outlook! But since I refused their offer of Skydrive (talk about insecure sites!), I guess they decided to dump me.I tried to contact customer service, but they seem to have that system out of order today.

Anyone have a similar experience?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

This has been widely reported as happening. As an example: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444226904577561050747041874.html

My live mail converted to outlook. You won't be able to switch it back. If you don't like it, you'll need to find an alternative or accept the outlook layout.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 smpster

smpster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Mine did the same, if you look, you can switch it back, it asks you

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for that. It used to pop up and ask if you want to switch. Now you have to go to the little gear next to your name in the upper right and there is an option to switch it back.

However I wonder if it's a temporary thing? Or whether it will become permanent at some point in the future like Facebook and their timeline thing.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

I just checked mine and it still hasn't switched over...yet, although as the OP stated, it's been a cumbersome process, esp. keeping everything of mine locked down and private, esp. as of late, since everyone wants to share everything of mine in my Inbox - ugh.

This morning when I checked my Gmail account I was informed that 2 of my docs/file were now in the Cloud and I could share them with everyone! You cannot believe how excited I was... <_<

I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to dial down / shut off this spiffy new feature but kept looping back around to their Help page, so I just deleted the files. Nice.

I know this is the trend and I understand the need to monetize and make a profit but it's getting unpleasant for me, so the question is, what's the next email service that folks are migrating to?

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

I think new Outlook has much cleaner and faster interface.
Microsoft will retire the hotmail service when the Outlook would be officially launched.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Yes, it is faster..snappier than Hot Mail....

I just switched one of my Hotmail accounts to Outlook. It receives mail from all my other accounts....Yahoo, Gmail, hotmail.
I can send mail to other accounts successfully except for other Hotmail accounts.

I'm using Ubuntu. I was at first happy with what look liked a simple switch with all hotmail saved mail intact.
Little difference in appearance or interface. I don't use Thunderbird or Evolution....just online storage.

I'm going to stick with Hotmail for now and I don't see any deadline for switching. Has anyone else read about or been
given a deadline from Microsoft?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 suman suman

suman suman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

Outlook.com is in a beta version so don't be worried and sad. Thankfully, you can still switch to your old-Hotmail style from the Options menu (Gear like icon at the uppermost bar beside your name> Switch back to Hotmail> Skip Feedback. It's not that Microsoft is taking out revenge on you for refusing to use SkyDrive but it's a part of the normal development that it does on a regularly basis. Change is vital and Microsoft understands it that to remain in email service competition, it has to do this. Google also does likeways for its Gmail service. Though I would say that even I personally did not like the change but it's not that bad at all. You will get used to of it slowly. But let's see, it's the final version yet. Microsoft will listen to your prayers. You can also check out the differences here in the new Outlook.com http://www.articlespedia.org/microsoft-kisses-goodbye-to-hotmail-welcomes-outlook-com/. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users