Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search companion crashes my computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Little dawg

Little dawg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

Actually I don't even know if this is considered a crash..to me a crash involves a BSOD. Whenever I use search companion, the search starts and lasts for a few (maybe 15 seconds)and then the companion dog stops scratching and the blue dots stop scanning and remain frozen for about 30 seconds. Then my monitor goes into energy saver mode (screen turns off and blue power light turns amber. The blue power light on the computer itself remains unchanged. I restart (using the power button on the computer)and the computer is fine. No error message is ever given. This happened once before in MSFT Outlook, but that was about a month ago. Search companion (any type of search) is the only thing that I can find that consistently repeats this problem.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this? I have run the entire malware guide mentioned in Majorgeeks and all 5 malware apps come back with no problems detected, so i am beginning to think that it is not malware/virus but rather an XP problem. I have seen minitoolbox mentioned in these forums, but I am not sure how to use it on this problem. I already ran it with the "last 10 events Shown" box checked, but no mention of this search assistant crash even though I deliberately caused it about an hour ago. Some type of error message sure would be nice right now!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

2 options that may be what you want -

First is from Annoyances.org - - - -

Mine only worked in safe mode also - but my tech support went to System Configuration Utility then Services and stopped Index Services from running and now my search companion is working.

Next from - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/19052-xp-search-not-working-ie-not-working-properly.html
Uninstall Norton (if installed) and install another Antivirus program, then follow these steps
Run each of the following commands from Command Prompt -

regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Hope they help -

#3 Little dawg

Little dawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

the regsvr32 commands worked like a charm!!! MSFT forums responded first and I followed their advice to run SuperAntiSpyware, and that is when all hell broke loose. My computer would crash every time I tried to load SAS, eventually I got a BSOD. the BSOD directed me to a graphic card driver problem. I updated the driver and my computer would behave well for a few days, and then crash. Event viewer showed an error with wbem. The MSFT recommended fix for WMI sounded scary, so i just ran tweaking.com and focused on WMI fixes...that worked very well. My computer would still crash occasionally when unattended, and search would ALWAYS crash it. I finally remembered this post, and did the regsvr32 commands. I have been searching like crazy for the last few days, and my computer behaves perfectly; almost like new. I am still not convinced that my original problem was malware related. i ran several malware/spyware programs and nothing showed up; I am going to post over at the hardware forum to see if anyone else had this problem. Despite the fact that my computer currently perform well, i would like to know what was the original cause to my monitor shutting off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users