Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using 2nd router as an access point?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GlennCoco

GlennCoco

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

I've tried searching this but I don't understand what some of the other posts on here mean.

I have upstairs in my bedroom a Belkin N600DB wireless router hooked up to my modem, and then have the printer and TV hardwired to the router. I want to be able to have wired access to the TV downstairs as well. I have a Belkin N300 just laying around. Is there a way to set up this extra router as an access point of sorts in order to wire the TV to that? Or do I need some different hardware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

According to the manufactures manuals and a quick google search neither router supports wireless bridge mode. The n600DB can be re flashed with custom firmware. The N300 is not supported by openwrt or DD-wrt
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 GlennCoco

GlennCoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Is there some hardware commercially available that does what I need?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Any router that supports"Wireless Bridge" mode. Or any access point that can be configured as a Wireless bridge. Several routers are supported by aftermarket firmware that allow you to use Bridge mode. Flashing a router is not for the novice user and you have to follow the steps very closely. You will want the bridge to be the same wireless type of your router. If you connect a 802.11G bridge to a 802.11N router the wireless speed will drop to 802.11G. you might want to consider Power line Networking.

Edit: Removed large picture, Added link instead

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 September 2012 - 03:10 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users