Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XHDD connects only through usb3.0

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SavageKarma

SavageKarma

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

I have a WD My Passport SE 1TB that used to connect to my pc via usb2.0 port. I tried connecting it to an other, older computer and it didn't load (device not recognised). When I tried to connect it to my pc again I got same message. I replaced cable and tested it on the store's lappy, and it worked. Took it home and it still won't connect (spins up, light on, device not recognised). Tried it on my bruvva's putey - usb3.0 port-works, same putey usb2.0-won't work. Any ideas?

OS - win7 64bit

Edited by SavageKarma, 08 September 2012 - 05:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

The USB 2.0 ports might not provide enough power to our XHDD for some weird reason, as it was doing so before. Try a powered USB HUB, which can be bought at bestbuy or someplace similar. By powered i mean, it has its own power cord that plugs into the wall and does not draw power from your computer to power USB devices attached to the HUB.

Also, maybe a driver got messed up and needed to be re-installed.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 SavageKarma

SavageKarma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

The USB 2.0 ports might not provide enough power to our XHDD for some weird reason, as it was doing so before. Try a powered USB HUB, which can be bought at bestbuy or someplace similar. By powered i mean, it has its own power cord that plugs into the wall and does not draw power from your computer to power USB devices attached to the HUB.

Also, maybe a driver got messed up and needed to be re-installed.

There was never an issue before but I did try using a double ended usb cable which plugged into two ports and this did not work either. I've thought about the driver as well but WD reckon that the drivers needed are standard and come as part of the OS. I will try your suggestion of the powered hub and let you know if it works or not.
Thanks for the reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users