Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Print Screen Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

I have downloaded a few freeware programs to simplify the screen print function in XP. Each of these little programs saves the desktop, including the Start key, to a file, without difficulty and one or two allow the curser arrow to be included in the screen shot. The problem occurs when I try to print off the saved screen print and find that the Start key, which is clearly included in the saved print, has been missed off the preview of the print. I believe the problem lies with the Photo Printing wizard, which loads itself, this is fine for digital photo printing, but does not allow for any manipulation before printing. I do not know if I could bypass the Photo Print wizard and use my Epson C84 functions instead. The Freeware I have tried are PrintKey 2000, MWSnap 3, Purrint and ScreenHunter.

Would I have any better luck were I to save these prints to an Office document? I am at present saving to a file in My Documents.

I was hoping to get various screen prints to illustrate a tutorial and any guidance on this would be appreciated.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:49 AM

Honestly, I am not sure if I follow the issue exactly, but let me dive in here anyway.

Are you saying the picture won't print the start button because it is cutoff from the print job? In other words, is the picture too large for the printer? Depending on how you are printing you may be able to do a Print Preview and see exactly how this picture is going to print BEFORE you actually print it.

Perhaps you need to modify the image before printing? Such as resizing the image to something smaller, like perhaps 70% of it's original size before printing. If so there is a free program you can use to do this: Irfanview and it is available for download HERE.

Sorry if I somehow missed the point of your post.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:00 AM

MWSnap 3 will capture the full desktop including the taskbar.

Select "Full Desktop" when you open the program and save the image as a jpg.

Edited by Enthusiast, 15 March 2006 - 10:09 AM.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

I've used MWSnap (great FREEWARE) and inserted the picture file into MS Word docs.
This is a little easier than than using Irfanview. The picture can be easily scaled
by simply dragging the corners and text and other pics can be added, too. :thumbsup:
To each his own ...

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

I've used MWSnap (great FREEWARE) and inserted the picture file into MS Word docs.
This is a little easier than than using Irfanview. The picture can be easily scaled
by simply dragging the corners and text and other pics can be added, too.
To each his own ...

You don't need freeware at all using your method. Just hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard, open Word, open a blank page, hit Ctrl+v to paste.

You can also just paste in Paint, which is included in Windows. Start > All Programs > Accessories

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 15 March 2006 - 11:11 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

Many thanks for the two replies.

Yes I find that the preview has cut off the lower end of the screen although it has been saved. I will have another look at my printer settings and see what I have changed there. I do not appear to have those adjustments on the Photo Print wizard so it is worth another look. I have also downloaded the Irfanview program suggested. Thank you for that.

MWSnap 3 is fine for the Start key and the curser, but the print preview on Photo Print cuts it off.

I will have a go at the downloaded application and hope for better luck.

Thanks again for your prompt responses.

:thumbsup:

#7 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

Great responses and suggestions. You have given me several solutions to what has been quite a frustrating problem. One of them is bound to work for me, so thanks again

#8 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:04 PM

Have a look at Gadwin PrintScreen. It is free. You can capture any part of a screen, send it to a file, copy it to Windows clipboard, print it, email it.

It is a natty little programme. I use it constantly.

Good luck, whatapalaver.

#9 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

:thumbsup: Thank you Whatapalaver I will give that one a go. I have reduced the % on my printer settings which has helped. The screen prints look better now. The Irfan prog. works well for me too.

Thanks to all out there for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users