Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my PC for better gaming

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 babulcool

babulcool

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:06 AM

Hi,
I want to upgrade my PC so that I may run most of the games without any lag time. I am not aiming to run Battlefield 3 smoothly on my computer because I have a budget. Before talking about the budget let me give you my specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/B4Z4jJaseFHH7Rim5IF4lqa

Clicking the above link will give you a snapshot of my computer specs taken by Speccy. Currently, I have a 128 MB in-built graphic card and I am having a tough time running even the basic games. Earlier today, I was running this game - No Limits Roller Coaster. It did run but at times the FPS went down to 5-10 per second. Therefore, I want to improve my gaming experience by a considerable margin. I live in Bangalore, India. My budget is Rs. 10000.

Mod Edit: Indian currency, approx $180 USD - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2012 - 07:58 AM.
Edit - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

First thing, pull the side cover and see if there are any slots to put in a graphic card. I googled the board, and it shows images with a PCIE16X slot, and more pictures of the board without.

Your spec sheet shows a 910 chipset, in which case you would not have a PCIE slot available. Here is a pic of a similar board. The blue slot by the PCI slots is the one you are looking for.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5GVMX/#

If you have a slot to upgrade with, then you also have to consider whether your power suppkly will handle the load.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 babulcool

babulcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. You will now have to help me in finding the area of the board where the graphic card slot should be available. Thanks :)

#4 babulcool

babulcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Ok, these are the pics of the board which I have. I have taken them a while ago.

The full board - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/dsc01246wm.jpg/

The blue slot (my assumption) - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/dsc01249bty.jpg/

Is that the blue slot you are taking about?

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Your board only has a PCI slot which will not get you what you are looking for. I am familiar with that board since many office computers from hp/compaq used them and they are woefully underpowered for even a P4 board. Your best bet at this time is to do a basic rebuild. Looks like your case will hold an ATX board. So get an AMD based kit of motherboard, ram, and an A4 based proccessor. This will get you Direct X 11 based graphics that are lightyears ahead of your current rig. Low end cost is around $126 dollars plus some shipping. Realisticly the cost would be more like $230-250 range. Get a decent motherboard, 4 GB of DDR3 1333, a 400-450 watt power supply, a new hard drive (120GB SSD's are very competitive right now at sub $90) and the best A4 proccessor you can squeeze in the budget.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 babulcool

babulcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

First of all, thanks for the reply :)

Here is a list of queries that I have:

1.)Are you SURE that my case will hold an ATX board?
2.)I already have an 160GB Hard disk. So, why should I purchase a 120GB hard drive? Should I buy a better hard disk offering more space? How will the prices vary?
3.)Will all the parts that you have mentioned above be compatible with all the other parts of the computer which I have?
4.) Do I need to upgrade my sound card as well?

I am sorry if my questions are stupid. I am not a computer pro. :P

#7 babulcool

babulcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

I would like to add more question.

5.) What about the graphic card? Which one?

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

First of all, thanks for the reply :)

Here is a list of queries that I have:

1.)Are you SURE that my case will hold an ATX board?
2.)I already have an 160GB Hard disk. So, why should I purchase a 120GB hard drive? Should I buy a better hard disk offering more space? How will the prices vary?
3.)Will all the parts that you have mentioned above be compatible with all the other parts of the computer which I have?
4.) Do I need to upgrade my sound card as well?
5.) What about the graphics card? Which one?

I am sorry if my questions are stupid. I am not a computer pro. :P

1) Not sure. Hard to tell but it doesn't look like it has the holes for the standoffs on the lower part of the case. You currently have a micro ATX board in your system. If it was me, and I was limited to that case for whatever reason, I would go back with a Micro ATX just because I know it fits.

2)Baitboy was suggesting an SSD upgrade. If your current hard drive suffices, it is OK.

3) Maybe not. You will likely need a new power supply. I do not know whether you can keep your optical drive as it is PATA and many new boards do not have PATA connectors. Also, you may need the PCI connectors on newer power supplies depending on your videocard selection.

4) No

5) Depends on budget. Baitboy suggest relying on the onboard graphics of the new CPU/GPUs (I think I gathered that from his post). I agree as it is much improved on newer CPUs. If you need more power later, then you can upgrade to a new videocard later when budget/time allows.

And, no. Your questions are not stupid.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 babulcool

babulcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

OK. So how do I proceed from here? I better wait for Baltboy to reply.

#10 babulcool

babulcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Well.

Next set of questions :P

1.) What is a SSD upgrade?
2.) "You currently have a micro ATX board in your system. If it was me, and I was limited to that case for whatever reason, I would go back with a Micro ATX just because I know it fits." I did not get you there. Did you mean that I should keep this case because it will do?
3.) "I do not know whether you can keep your optical drive as it is PATA and many new boards do not have PATA connectors." As per my knowledge, I do not have an optical drive. It is a general DVD-Rom. Compatible?

Thanks

Edited by babulcool, 10 September 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

1. A SSD is a data storage drive that uses memory to store data rather then a platter disk in a hard drive.
2. I believe Dpunisher is saying that a micro-atx motherboard will definitely fit and that you should go with the same form factor(micro-atx).
3. The DVD-Rom drive has to be SATA, as mentioned before that motherboards nowadays does not have a IDE/PATA connectors anymore.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#12 babulcool

babulcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hey guys, I have finalized the build. The system is going to have the following specifications:

Processor - Intel Core i3
Ram - 4GB DDR3
Motherboard - Intel h61
DVD-Writer: One with SATA
Hard Disk: 500 GB Seagate

The power supply is included in the price taken for: Motherboard + Processor + Power Supply. Capacity of the power supply is 450 Watts. So, I have finalized it. I will be buying the parts tomorrow. Thanks and bye!

#13 babulcool

babulcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hey guys, I have finalized the build. The system is going to have the following specifications:

Processor - Intel Core i3
Ram - 4GB DDR3
Motherboard - Intel h61
DVD-Writer: One with SATA
Hard Disk: 500 GB Seagate

The power supply is included in the price taken for: Motherboard + Processor + Power Supply. Capacity of the power supply is 450 Watts. So, I have finalized it. I will be buying the parts tomorrow. Thanks and bye!

I forgot to include this: Graphics Card - ATI Radeon ...... (Memory - 2GB)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users