Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start up failed after booting from USB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hi, I recently created a bootable flash drive with Trinity rescue kit installed on it. I booted from the flash drive and it worked great I didnt do anything with the program besides make sure it ran. when I shut down and booted regularly my startup failed.. which has never happened before. wasnt sure if this was common or what the deal is any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.
I have booted Ubuntu from a flash drive several times without a problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

when I shut down and booted regularly my startup failed..

What operating system are your running from the hard drive? Windows? Win7, Vista, XP ?

You wrote: "I recently created a bootable flash drive with Trinity rescue kit installed on it."
Did you create this immediately prior to the problem, and did you use this same computer to create it?
  • It is possible (and I've seen it happen before) that during the creating of this bootable flashdrive, you have inadvertently altered the MBR/partition table on the hard drive and changed the boot flag to a wrong partition.
In order to boot from a flashdrive, did you need to make any changes to the boot order in BIOS Setup Menu, or did you simply use the Boot Menu to choose to boot from the flashdrive.
Are you sure that the system is trying to boot from the hard drive?
When you use the Boot Menu to choose to boot from the hard drive, what happens.
  • Please provide a full description of what you see on-screen.
Edited to add: Ensure that when attempting a normal startup, all flashdrives have been removed from the system!!! Having a flashdrive connected when attempting a normal startup can sometimes cause a problem.

Edited to add: Earlier topic by the OP with relevance booting linux from a flash drive

Edited by AustrAlien, 07 September 2012 - 09:14 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

I used it immediately prior to the problem.. I have windows 7 OS, I selected to boot from USB device from the boot menu. Which I have done many times before using different flash drives I have made bootable, T.R.K. booted fine I looked it over and chose the shutdown option took out the flash drive and hit start. While booting I recieved an error message that said windows failed to start up it reset itself to a point when it worked and after about 35 minutes it started up without a couple programs that I recently downloaded.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

So, Windows is back up and running OK after automatically doing a System Restore apparently.

Having such a problem after booting Linux on a flashdrive or CD is not common and not normal. It is difficult to guess what might have happened or gone wrong.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Any chance you might have used hibernate to shut down Windows prior to
booting to the flash drive?

I think running chkdsk would be a good idea. Instructions in link below if needed.
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Yes windows is working after the restore. Thanks for the help

Buddie: I hit start then shutdown with the flash drive inserted, then booted from the drive and chose the shut down option from T.R.K. I could have taken the flash drive out before it was done i guess but all the lights were off. I will def be doing a disk check!! thanks

Edited by Mr. Bravo, 08 September 2012 - 11:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users