Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix problem....help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 branch

branch

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

I have a serious problem. I ran ComboFix after AVG blocked a blackhole exploit kit to restore at a earlier point. My system restore on Windows XP is not working, ComboFix was only option. Scan took longer than usual and was deleting unnecessary files. Did not stop process while in action, fearing more harm than good. Discovered data was not missing within my control panel. All files in C drive are quarantined and located in Qoobox. Was going to unistall and reinstall ComboFix or either drag a CFScript within in it to kill quarantine, but decided to load Rkill. A tech mentioned the program. I loaded the program from your site (7zip was name). Since AVG's identity protection is disabled from ComboFIx, I had to allow the download and ignore the threat. I declined on all of the annoying toolbars and add-ons, but all features loaded. Now, I have a yahoo toolbar and other annoying features. I used Revo-uninstaller to fix this problem. This did not work. Icons now appear as DAT files and some features will not work such as ADD/REMOVE programs. I can not find my RUN command and the annoying icon features from Rkill are on my DESKTOP. Of course, the STARTUP MENU and DOCUMENTS folder are empty due to the COMBOFIX bug, but now the Rkill download and Revo-uninstaller action has worsen the situation. I'm finding it difficult to find items, since key functions are missing and folders are being added or changed and appearing as DAT files on my DESKTOP. I need help!!! I find this extremely frustrating. It's hard to locate items.

Model Number: PP12L
Windows XP Svc Pk 3
32 bit sys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hello, this is why we ask ...(from Blue text above this forum) ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer.

That said.. having run ComboFix we need to see that and a DDS log.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip the GMER step and instead post the ComboFix log you posted earlier.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users