Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very high HDD I/O

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AngryHan

AngryHan

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

When Windows loads, the computer grinds to a halt for about 5 minutes. During this time, the HDD light is constantly on. I check the performance monitor, and it lists the page file has having really high read/write values. There are other times during usage, such as when I close a resource intensive game, that the same thing happens. Does anyone know what's causing this? Is it a degraded HDD? I defrag regularly with Diskeeper

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

How much ram do you have and how much free space is there on each partition of your hd?
Also, has it always been this way or did it start recently?

Edited by Allan, 07 September 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi, Is this the same computer as in this Topic in the Am I Infected Forums? If so I refer you to this that was posted by Louis.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic467770.html/page__view__findpost__p__2832088

Now that you have properly posted a malware log topic, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on, the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If this is a second computer, Please let us know.

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 September 2012 - 04:57 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 AngryHan

AngryHan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

I have 4GB of ram, though I'm running 32-bit Windows Vista. 5GB page file. Only one partition with 70GB free. The problem's been going on for a few months now, but I've had this laptop for over 3 years.

Rotor123: Nope, this is a different computer :)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Oh good, Now is this the same Vista computer? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458128.html/page__p__2740466__fromsearch__1#entry2740466

If so which message would you like to keep open. If you have three computers with problems at the same time, I sure don't want your luck.

Thanks
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

When you boot to safe mode how long does it take to load?

#7 AngryHan

AngryHan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Oh good, Now is this the same Vista computer? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458128.html/page__p__2740466__fromsearch__1#entry2740466

If so which message would you like to keep open. If you have three computers with problems at the same time, I sure don't want your luck.

Thanks
Roger

Yes please lock the other one, I don't have THAT bad luck :P

#8 AngryHan

AngryHan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

I'll be back with an answer later regarding safe mode booting

#9 AngryHan

AngryHan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Still takes quite a while to load in safe mode. I judge it by how long the HDD light remains pretty much solid for.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have to say that 4 Gig of memory it should be starting quick in safe mode. Normally when I see the hard drive light steady running and a slow start I look at memory but you have 4Gig so we move on.

Have you checked for Malware and have you tested the hard drive.

I have seen in a few cases where the hard drive had problems and the boot took forever.

How about posting a Speccy report. Courtesy of Sneakycyber

• [
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

Still takes quite a while to load in safe mode. I judge it by how long the HDD light remains pretty much solid for.

That's not how to judge it. How long does it take until the Safe Mode Screen is up and usable?

#12 AngryHan

AngryHan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hi Roger, here we go: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TRYyYrpywbJhE5lNOigw4Wb

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hi AngryHan,

rotor123 said: Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Have you checked for Malware and have you tested the hard drive.

Regarding malware, it looks as if you are running both Commodo Internet Security and Eset anti-virus.
  • Anti-Virus programs take up an enormous amount of your computer's resources when they are actively scanning your computer.
    Having two or more anti-virus programs running at the same time, with resident protection, can cause your computer to run slowly, become unstable and in rare cases, crash.
  • You should uninstall one of the two.

In terms of the hard drive, the SMART data looks unremarkable, but I would recommend testing the drive with SeaTools for DOS bootable CD none the less.
  • From the top menu, click on Basic Tests and run the Short test first and then the Long test.
  • If bad blocks are found during a Long test, a prompt will ask how to proceed.
    • Because there is a chance of some data loss with the repair, select Skip This One and All Remaining, unless you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 AngryHan

AngryHan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

I thought Comodo was just a firewall

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

Hello,

Comodo Internet Security makes a suite of utilities including an anti-virus. They also make a free stand alone firewall, so if that is what you have installed, just ignore my uninstall recommendation.

In light of your slow start-up complaints, I would still recommend testing your Seagate hard drive with their DOS utility if you haven't previously.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users