Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor not running fast. Possible BIOS issue?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Purplegill10

Purplegill10

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Nice to be back BC, but not for the reason I wanted <_< . Anyways I came back today for a thing that has been bugging me for the past few weeks, a cool processor. Basically I ran ComboFix with an AV on (whoops :tvhorror: ) and it slowed my computer drastically. Currently on my various games I used to have a 60-80 framerate but now It dropped to a slideshow worthy 10. Sometimes my processor would heat up and cause it to go up to around 40 or 50 but these boosts would only last about 40 seconds each. My friend told me it could just be some faulty BIOS problems however he said it would take forever and just reinstall the OS (which seems much easier, but I want to see if I can avoid that). If anyone can tell me what files would do this or if I am actually having another problem please respond.

A happy return :hug: --Gilroy
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was freakin' awesome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

Sometimes my processor would heat up and cause it to go up to around 40 or 50

40 to 50 is reasonable for operating temps. Over 50 is regarded as overheating for most systems.
Have you cleaned the dust out of the fans and general case recently ??

#3 Purplegill10

Purplegill10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

Sometimes my processor would heat up and cause it to go up to around 40 or 50

40 to 50 is reasonable for operating temps. Over 50 is regarded as overheating for most systems.

I meant the framerate in my games not the temp., sorry for the confusion. Speaking of the temperature it doesn't heat up like it used to. It seems like it just doesn't want to run at it's full power. I have not cleaned my fans lately but I'll try that to see if anything changes.

Thanks for the quick reply--Gilroy
-Mahatma Gandhi

#4 Purplegill10

Purplegill10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Just a quick update, it seems that the spikes occur less frequently but are still there. This is probably due to me fixing my old battery problems. It seems as if I am not the only one with this problem on this forum.
-Mahatma Gandhi

#5 D.Meacham

D.Meacham

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

I find myself skeptical that a battery would cause this issue, unless you're on a laptop and running on battery power which is a bit unlikely a scenario for gaming. What could impact you are power settings in the control panel, however. Check and make sure that your power profile isn't set to a high economy mode, which would be dialing down processor speed and putting components to sleep more often to try to conserve power.

That aside, my first thought on the culprit was also a thermal issue like noknojon, especially as it's summer. Your description of the issue very closely fits a computer that's running too hot and underclocking its CPU and video card to try to cool down.

#6 Purplegill10

Purplegill10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

See, that's the thing (sorry for the late response, havent gamed on pc in a while) it isnt a heating issue as much as it sometimes just stays cool and underclocks for no reason. I have edited the battery settings many times and it seems like it runs slower on high performance (something that has been bugging me since I first got the computer >>). Yes I do have a laptop and run it on outlet power although the cord I am using is starting to show wear (not that this has hindered it in any way, just thought I would put it out there). If this truly is a heating issue then any ideas on how to cool it down other than external cooling pads or channeled stands?

EDIT: BTW the fans are completely open, they aren't blocked or anything

Edited by Purplegill10, 21 September 2012 - 03:18 PM.

-Mahatma Gandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users