Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blacane

Blacane

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:56 AM

Hi

OK let me start by telling you guys about my comp and its specs. I own a modified Emachine computer.
I have done everything to this machince except set the AMD Athaon xp 3000 chip that is in it. I have upgraded the case. I have installed 2 hardrives, Installed a DVD RW and a CD RW and a small 9-in-one media reader. I have a creative labs sound card, and I have upgraded to 1 gig of ram (kingston) I have also upgraded the cooling by adding 2 intake fans to the front of the new case that I slaped all of this in. The case came with a 500 watt PSU. I have a cable connection to the internet.

Now this is the problem. I bought my graphics card about a year ago at a best buy. It worked well with a slight glitch of pixelation on very rare occasion. Then one day I was playing of all things Neverwinter Nights (not very taxing) got done with the game and shut down the system. The next day I could not get into the GUI (Graphical User Interphase) to logon to WindowsXP. The entire screen was covered with what reminded me of my early nintendo years. Pixelation everywhere. Ok By this time I had already determined that the card was going to go out and was prepared to ship it in to bfg for a new one. It took a lil but I got it done. Now the NEW ONE has a problem (or is it the motherboard). It cannot show the color red. Instead all I see is black in the place of red. I have upgraded the drivers and everything. Black is always where the red is supposed to be. I thought that this might be the monitor so I went out and bought a new LCD monitor and I still cant see red. And the dreaded pixelation is starting to show up agian but only after playing a game. So is it a freak accident and I got another bad GPU or is it something else? I use an avg port. It functions fine (without red) in normal windows but when I play a game sometimes it get pixelation agian and lockup occors. And I have already called BFG about this, I am supposed to get another GPU tommorrow. I have a MSI brand mobo. I have given as much attention to detail as a geek possibly could in this post and I greatly appreciate any advice or support you can offer me. I have also checked the settings of the GPU and they show that red is on. Another note it is starting to lockup like the other one in the logon screen. So there you have it. I need some real good advice.

Blacane,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:35 AM

Hi Blacane!

I feel your pain AND your frustration. Try replacing your power supply (PSU) with one that has at least 18 amps on the +12v line and 550 watts total power. Reason being is that about 2 months ago, I ordered a nvidia 6800 GS. My psu at the time met the minimum requirements for the card; 18 amps +12v, and 400 watts. However, I also had 2 UV LED fans in my case, a 120mm and an 80mm, along with 2gb ram and some led's on the front of the case. My card did EXACTLY what you're describing: pixelation everywhere, and all the other horrors to boot. I returned the first card only to find that the second card was doing the same thing, but worse. After installing multiple drivers and about 30 minutes on the phone with eVGA, they told me that my card requires a psu with 18 amps on the +12v line, and a minimum of 400 watts. They also told me that they reccomend 20 amps/550W. I ordered a psu that has 18 amps on the +12v line and was 550W. Installed it and no more problems, it works perfectly.

Now, I'm not saying that this is it for certain, and would feel bad if you ran out and spent money on a power supply and it didn't fix it. I am saying that I had the exact problems that you had, and that it was because my power supply wasn't good enough to handle it. Not to mention that it was a cheap psu too, as it only cost me $20. The one that I replaced it with was a name brand and was $79.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:02 AM

Steve's got a point concerning power.
It's also critical the way you supply the card with juice.
If your card has two power connectors, never use a splitter or Y cable to connect them both from a single power connection. Some people just naturally assume that's what the included Y cable that comes with a lot of video cards is for, it's not. Never draw power from the floppy power cable either.
The pixelazation you're experiencing can also be caused by outdated or incompatable mainboard chipset drivers. Being an E-Machine doesn't make the job of upgrading those easy. I'm not even sure they're offered. I'd take a look at the manual that came with that card for preffered bios settings as well.
Of course, a different card is always an easy way out too. :thumbsup: I'd tell you what "BFG" stands for but I'd get kicked off this board. :flowers:

#4 Blacane

Blacane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:44 AM

Guys thanx for the help and advise, but it seems that the cards were both faulty, the one that I have now is just fine. No bugs no probs, but should the problem ever arrise agian, ill change the power supplt unit first thing.

Agian thanx :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users