Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues after replacing Mobo/CPU/RAM

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Magdalena

Magdalena

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Recently we upgraded one of our computers. We swapped out the motherboard, cpu, and the memory. Everything else; Hard drive, power supply, video card, etc, were left intact. The computer did not have problems, it was just under-powered. First start-up was smoothish. It logged right into Windows XP but the mouse and keyboard were not responding. Reset the computer and went to BIOS and keyboard responded just fine. Rebooted and before any Windows screen appeared it went to error <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt. Rebooted from Windows XP CD and went to Recovery Console. Ran chkdsk /r while researching the ntoskrnl.exe. When Check disk finished I performed the solution: expand e:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ . Said yes and then rebooted. Upon this restart the computer then said "Windows could not start because an error in the software. Please report problem as: Load needed Dlls for kernel." Again researched, booted from Windows CD and went to install XP and repair. Repair finished, restarted and Windows loading screen finally appeared again but as soon as it finished it flashed a Blue Screen and rebooted into a Boot Loop. Blue Screen flashed too fast for me to catch any codes. At this point I'm trying to avoid reformatting for the last resort. Thank you for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

A change of motherboard...is considered a change of system by Windows. The drivers and settings on the hard drive relate to a component that is no more.

In some cases (the minority), problems are not observed by the person making the change...but I feel it's foolish to expect not to have problems in such a case.

Which is why a clean install is a typical recommendation in such situations.

You can read more at Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users