Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade old build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blubblub

blubblub

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

About 5 years ago I bought my components for my first own build PC. This consisted of:
1) Asus Motherboard M2N 1394
2) Antec NeoHE Power 430 Watt , 24 Pins
3) AMD CPU Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 65 Watt 2.50 GHz, Boxed
4) Asus VGA GeForce EN8500GT SILENT/HTD 256 MB
5) Kingston ValueRam PC5300, 667 MHz, Kit Of 2, 5, 2 GB
6) Thermaltake Soprano No Power, Black
7) Sony NEC Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7173 IDE, Bulk, Black
8) NEC 3,5 Inch Floppy Station Black
9) Samsung HDD HD250HJ 7200 Rpm, 8 MB, Bulk
10) Western Digital HDD SATA / 64MB, WD10EARX
11) Sweex Wireless LAN PCI Card 56mbps

For the last year or so, I often encountered some difficulties when I started the PC. After giving it a few shakes or fiddeling with the cables/cards I normally got it back to work. Last week unfortunately this did not help anymore. I removed all cards, cables etc. and only left the motherboard, CPU and powersupply connected. Still no good result (the fans go on, but I don't hear any beeps (which I guess should happen if you remove the RAM but it doesn't) or the 'click' that normally indicated that it was going). So I thought that it might be a good idea to get a new motherboard, CPU and some RAM.
I googled a little and thought about the following:
CPU: AMD A8-3850,sFM1
Motherboard: Asrock A75 Pro4

Questions are now of course:
1) What do you think of my choice, do you perhaps have any other suggestions?
2) Is my Antec power suitable for this motherboard?
3) If I understood correct my old case is an ATX so this should fit with this motherboard?

Thanks in advance for your reaction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Since I just decided to buy some new components, I am curious.

Just what do you do on this system? How much are you willing to spend to upgrade?

I was going to go with the same CPU until I did a little research re rendering video and realized the FX 8120/8150 was somewhat better than the APU processors...and video is the major thing I do on this system.

RAM is dirt cheap now, IMO...and a new motherboard was within my theoretical "budget".

I see that you are also assuming that your PSU is not the problem, which I would not do. It's pretty easy to test it by putting it in another system or alternative testing procedures.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#3 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'm not much into video-editing or gaming, so don't need a super-computer. I mainly use it nowadays for internet browsing, some standard office type work, watching a video, and sometimes some SPSS work. I'd like to use my laptop for work related only and the desktop for personal use.

I only have one PC and laptop here and no easy access to others. Is there a way to test it without another system? I thought about first trying to find the true cause of the problem, and would then indeed start with the PSU, but then realised that after 5 years an upgrade for the CPU and motherboard itself might not be a bad thing. The PC was running a bit slow sometimes.

Indeed new RAM will be added as well :D

Since I just decided to buy some new compoenents, I am curious.

Just what do you do on this system? How much are you willing to spend to upgrade?

I was going to go with the same CPU until I did a little research re rendering video and realized the FX 8120/8150 was somewhat better than the APU processors...and video is the major thing I do on this system.

RAM is dirt cheap now, IMO...and a new motherboard was within my theoretical "budget".

I see that you are also assuming that your PSU is not the problem, which I would not do. It's pretty easy to test it by putting it in another system or alternative testing procedures.

Louis

Edited by blubblub, 07 September 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'm not a tech of any sort, just a more-than-casual user :)...but take a look:

Is It My Power Supply - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic169618.html

How to Diagnose and Replace a Failed PC Power Supply - http://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-and-Replace-a-Failed-PC-Power-Supply

PSU Test - How to Manually Test a Power Supply With a Multimeter - Test PSU - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-supply-test-multimeter.htm

How To Test Your Computers Power Supply (PSU) - Video - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/729606/how_to_test_your_computers_power_supply_psu/

Louis

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

1. It's a fine choice as the APU is great for office related tasks.
2. The 430W Antec power supply should be fine.
3. The motherboard should fit in your case easily.

Also you can re use your hard drives but don't bother with the graphics card as the APU has integrated graphics. This ram would go nicely with the system but do note that you must have a 64bit Windows for it to detect 8GB.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Although it might be the PSU, an upgrade of my system might be not a bad idea after 5 years. For the RAM if I remember correct it is a 32bit Windows 7 running on those hard-drives, so 8 GB is if I understood correctly not usefull.

Three new questions though before I take the leap of ordering:
1) The A8-3870k instead of the AMD A8-3850 might also be interesting since it only costs 10,- more (about $13,-). The difference is 3ghz instead of 2.9. Is this worth it?
2) Although the PSU might also be replaced, I did notice on my Antec besides the 24 pin there is a small 4 pin connected which goes next to the CPU. On the new motherboard (the Asrock A75 Pro4) I don't see such a socket. Is this going to be a problem, or am I overlooking something?
3) I assume my old RAM will still work. Is this assumption correct? (once I got the computer back up and running I might also buy some new RAM, but if not needed for now can hopefully use the old one)

Apologies for the many questions. Always come back to this forum when I run into computer issues and found the help very friendly, supportive and accurate.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

FWIW: You may want to read, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389416,00.asp .

Product Info:
Specifications
Mfr Part Number: A75 PRO4-M
CPU: Socket FM1 Support AMD A8/A6/A4/E2 Processors; Supports Max CPU TDP 100W; Supports AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet Technology
Chipset: AMD A75 FCH (Hudson-D3)
Memory: 4x DDR3-2400+(OC)/1866(OC)/1600(OC)/1333/1066/800 DIMMs, Dual Channel, Non-ECC/Un-buffered, Max Capacity up to 32GB
Slots: 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Slots(one run at x4; Supports AMD Quad/ CrossFireX); 2x PCI Slots
SATA: 5x SATA3 Ports, Support RAID 0/ 1/ 10; 1x eSATA3 Port
Audio: Realtek ALC892 7.1-Channel HD Audio CODEC, Supports Premium Blu-ray audio; Supports THX TruStudio Pro
LAN: Realtek RTL8111E PCI-Express x1 Gigabit Ethernet Controller, Supports Wake-On-LAN
Ports: 8x USB 2.0 Ports (2 rear, 6 by headers); 4x USB 3.0 Ports; 1x PS/2 Port; 1x VGA Port; 1x DVI Port; 1x HDMI Port; 1x Optical SPDIF Out; 1x eSATA3 Port; 1x RJ45 LAN Port; Audio I/O Jacks
Power Connector: 1x 24pin main power, 1x 8pin CPU power
Form Factor: Micro ATX, 9.6 x 9.6 inch / 24.4 x 24.4 cm
Package: Retail

Per http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-A75PR4M

Louis

#8 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for those specs. I actually found those as well, but most of it doesn't mean much to me. The specs you listed are from the PRO 4-M, while I'm thinking to go for the PRO 4 itself. I guess the only main difference is the size and extra slots.

From the article I notice their main points were about the speed for the PCIe slots and if I understood it right that there is no real option to add any additional USB 3.0 slots.
On a Dutch site tweakers.net they also did an extensive comparison between the Asrock A75 PRO4, Asus F1A75-V PRO, Biostar TA75M+, Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H and MSI A75MA-G55. The results were (links are to Dutch site, but probably the diagrams are understandable for English readers as well):
On Cinebench & Filmsit appears the Asrock beats the Gigabyte on almost all comparisons.
In the Adobecomparison with Premiere Pro CS5 Gigabyte beats Asrock by far, while for Retouch Artist and Lightroom they seem nearly identical.
In PCMark 7, Gigabyte beats Asrock in Creativity and Storage, while Asrock wins in Entertainment and Computation. In the 3DMark results the Asrock beats the Gigabyte on all comparisons.
With Gamesthe Gigabyte beats the Asrock on all occasions.
In the last comparison the Asrock beats the Gigabyte by far on power usage.

It seems the Gigabyte and Asrock are quite close to each other. Gigabyte performce a lot better in games, but I'm no gamer. The computation win from Asrock is interesting since I am using SPSS and perhaps Maple in the future.

Still think therefor the Asrock PRO-4 is the one for me. However still have those three questions pending...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users