Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White LCD screen on Inspiron 4150 question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

I am working on a Dell Inspiron 4150 running XP Prof. My lcd screen goes totally white after about 13-15 minutes of run time. I can hook up an external monitor and it works fine. This is an older laptop and has an inverter also. I don't want to buy a new screen and inverter if they are ok. I tore is down partially and re-seated the vga cable to the motherboard with same results. My opinion is that the bulbs are ok since it is bright white when it quits.
I would appreciate any help....Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Try re-seating it to the LCD panel
Display, Display Assembly, Display Latch, and Hinge Covers

Dell™ Inspiron™ 4150 manual (Screen section)

that is a link to opening the screen assembly itself.

If re-seating it does not help then it is 99% the LCD or Motherboard. The only way to test if it is the LCD is by substitution.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 September 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the reply Roger...I did exactly what you suggested; even removed the harness totally from the lcd and inverter. After re-seating it and putting it back together, it has been running fine for 38 minutes...Maybe what I did was ok??? I hope...If the MB was defective, wouldn't the external monitor go bad as well??

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

You would think so, however I'm fairly sure that there is some circuitry that feeds both the LCD and the External monitor but that there is also some that is not in common too.

Here's hoping that it is OK.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users