Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a start-up issue?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'm not sure where to post.

I have a Tosiba Netbook with windows 7 starter.

It worked yesterday. Today it seems to be starting. I hear the windows sound. The screen is blank but on. No desktop. It looks like an illuminated black. Maybe you can understand why I do not know where to post this. What is that screen condition called? I've seen it before but don't know what it is or what causes it. In the past I've had to force close it because CTRL> ALT> DEL does not turn it off and I can not see a start button or a window of any kind. So I force close it and when I reboot it it starts and tells me that it was not closed properly. I usually boot in safe mode and run the tools that checks for errors etc. It claims it found errors, fixes them and then it restarts. I do not recall if there is anything in particular I do before turning it off the previous time.

Yesterday Avast informed me that there was a new version if I wanted it. I downloaded it. It told me that the computer needed to be restarted to complete the install. So I did that. When it restated there was a barrage of notices from avast: do I want to allow this or that, it seemed that most of them had to do with backing up my data.

I have been using a Seagate passport with two USB connections to back up my data. I'm pretty sure the back-up program came with/ was already on the external hard drive.

I plugged the drive in and proceed to be barraged again with the messages. I kept saying "yes" to the allow request. Honestly, what average or even better than average computer person knows what all the files and extension that avast is asking permission to allow means? Is avast looking for an action other than "allow"? Will it present these requests endlessly even if one does allow? It sure seemed that some of the requests were for the same file over and over. I couldn't do anything except answer the pop-up requests.

I tried shutting down and got a message that I had never seen before in essence telling me that something else was going on am I sure I want to interrupt this procedure.
Really? Who know what it is telling me? Who know what the alternative might be? What about give some choices that allows a person to turn the computer off and pick up again where it left off if need be? What happens if an emergency arise home can one turn the computer off so they can board a plane or leave a burning house?

I tried to "stop" the USB to the hard drive but it tells me I can't "stop" something that is in use.
I had to leave and take the computer with me.

This morning ( no time yesterday after leaving the house ) I tried booting the computer and got this state that I mention above. Of course I can not see the desktop with means I must force close.

I force close and plug the hard drive in before rebooting. Same situation. I tried F5 to reboot in safe mode but there is nothing on the screen to see. It is somewhat illuminated but that dark grayish black.

Of course I would like to resolve this issue. But first I would like to know which forum in Bleeping computer address's what this situation is?

Thanks for whatever light you can shed on this subject.

but after updating Avast antivirus I kept getting the pop-ups asking me if I wanted

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Startup Programs Database to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2012 - 02:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Hello Kryptonite,

( 1. ) What is the exact model number of your Toshiba netbook?

( 2. ) If you repeatedly tap the F8 key when the computer is first powered on, can you see the screen? If so, can you get to the Advanced Boot Options Menu?

( 3. ) Do you have or have access to an external computer monitor to attach to the netbook?

( 4. ) Did the computer come with any installation DVDs? (I know that the netbook has no DVD drive)

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

Hello Kryptonite,

( 1. ) What is the exact model number of your Toshiba netbook? Answer:NB305-N4-10BN

( 2. ) If you repeatedly tap the F8 key when the computer is first powered on, can you see the screen? If so, can you get to the Advanced Boot Options Menu?

Answer: No. So No for the other part of question 2 May I ask if I made it clear about what I am seeing in the screen area?

( 3. ) Do you have or have access to an external computer monitor to attach to the netbook? Answer: Yes I have access to several different size as well as type of monitors.

( 4. ) Did the computer come with any installation DVDs? (I know that the netbook has no DVD drive)

Answer: You are correct about not having a built in DVD player. And no, it did not come with a DVD with OS etc. However, I mentioned the seagate passport which was used for back-up from the beginning. That said there was some point, maybe a couple months after owning it that I found myself on a one day trip that turned into a 33 day trip. Until recently when I started getting the avast pop-ups referring to "back-up" I plugged it back in but as often happens with this computer and avast, I am overwhelmed with notices to allow or not allow a file to be changed or set by avast. I could spend hours reading the avast pop-ups trying to figure out what they are for and if I should check the box that says "remember my answer".

#4 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

Thank you Art for answering my post. I noticed that the question was viewed by many members but only you ventured into attempting to help me. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about computers; enough that many of my family and friends call me or drop by with their computer problems that more often than not I can help them resolve.

My latest challenge is helping my Mother who has a new laptop that I bought for her so she doesn't have to use my Dad's. The biggest problem that I have trying to help her is her lack of knowledge about the official names of computer things and environment. I mention this because I am not sure what this condition is called where I can see light around the edges of the screen but there is no desktop, no Toshiba banner across the bottom when I start it and although I would call the screen "black" I know and see that there is power in some form coming to the screen itself.

BTW The last time I had a problem with this computer it was one week to the day BEFORE the one year warranty ran out. The support person who fielded my call spent far too long trying to talk me into buying a new computer rather than attempting to fix this one. I really resented his hard sell pitch and told him that I would rather shoot the computer and post it on youtube than to buy another Toshiba. I'm close to doing that now. ( I'll pull the hard drive before I do that )

One more thing about what is and is not happening when I attempt to start this computer. There is a hard drive light that blinks when the hard drive is in use. The light does not blink in most start scenario's. Yesterday I tried several things including ctrl,alt,del, hitting the windows key to the left of the space bar and then counting the moves that would bring me to restarting with the arrow keys and the enter button ( that didn't work ) and using the esc button which caused the screen to go full black as if it was restarting and I could hear the hard drive and saw the light blinking. But still no desktop.

Sorry that these posts are so wordy. I really do not see how I can explain the condition, how I got there including what I did before it happened. The only other thing that happened the day before this situation had to do with setting a password ( which is what I was trying to undo ). Not only could I not find the option as I once knew it with other windows OS's, looking for help online resulted in a strange series of different suggestions that made the situation worse than it was before I started. More about that if you think it is somehow related.

Thanks again!

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hello,

I'm wondering if the screen condition you are describing is due to a bad inverter board, backlight, or the display screen itself.

If you have access to an external monitor that would fit onto the netbook, it would be a good test to attach the monitor and restart the netbook. If the graphics chip is working but there is an issue with the display hardware on the netbook, an external monitor should work. Just a thought.

Here is the User's Guide for NB300 Series including your NB305-N4-10BN (tc10051400b.exe).
  • Extract this file and open userguide.pdf .
  • Go to page 78, Connecting an external monitor or projector, for details.
  • The manual states, "your computer will automatically detect the external display device."
  • There is also an Fn + F5 key combination to change settings.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

I will look at that. Thanks for your help. If the external monitor works I will let you know. If not I'll pull the hard drive so I don't lose the files and make a video of me solutions after that <G>

Hello,

I'm wondering if the screen condition you are describing is due to a bad inverter board, backlight, or the display screen itself.

If you have access to an external monitor that would fit onto the netbook, it would be a good test to attach the monitor and restart the netbook. If the graphics chip is working but there is an issue with the display hardware on the netbook, an external monitor should work. Just a thought.

Here is the User's Guide for NB300 Series including your NB305-N4-10BN (tc10051400b.exe).

• The manual states, "your computer will automatically detect the external display device."

#7 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hello,

I just parked the computer for a while. When I tried it again the screen appeared but it was clearly troubled. Then it went out again. Got my hands on and external monitor cable and guess what; it worked.

Can't be worth fixing unless I can get the part and solder it in. It now becomes a door stop or prop for a youtube video shotgun marriage.

Thanks for the suggestion!

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thank you for the update.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic