Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get to use my previous harddrive, with W7 in my new build

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Snowblade

Snowblade

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

So my six year old Dell E510, based on a Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading (1 real core, 1 HT) died the other day, I don't recall the speed atm if it was 1.8, 2.4 or 2.8ghz. I don't know exactly what component failed, as the power supply still was able to light the green LED inside, but pressing the power button would not turn it on, leaving it disconnected from the power overnight did not cause it to work again or clearing the CMOS. This is the 2nd E510 I've seen exhibit this behavior of losing power immediately and never booting again. So I went ahead and did my own DIY project. I've built or helped build 5 or more systems for friends before, so finally it was my turn. The last time I helped a friend build his i3 system and he was upgrading from an AMD Phenom x4. I was pretty sure he'd have to do a reformat and reinstall, but lo and behold W7 booted, detected everything and he kept on using his old W7 OS! So I was hoping I'd be able to pull off the same feat.

The hardware I upgraded to is:

XFX 6870 1GB
16GB RAM G. Skill Ripjaws
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
600W Corsair power supply
i5 3570k
Seagate Barracuda 1.5GB 7200.11 (my old drive, from my Dell, I had upgraded from the original)
Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0GB (other drive running the new OS)

Running Windows 7 64-bit, same OS on both from my old system and the one I'm writing from.

Well now on to the problem(s). I go to boot and briefly I think it will boot and then I get BSOD'd with 0x0000007B. I had already anticipated one possible problem so I had set the SATA to IDE and not AHCI, but since I BSOD'd it didn't help, I also tried AHCI, but it would BSOD even faster lol. I tried doing a repair from my W7 DVD, but it said it was unable to fix it. I popped in a new drive, installed W7 and that's what I'm running on now. All hardware is working properly etc. The old drive is able to be read from W7, I can navigate and pull things out etc. So the drive isn't dead.

Is there a way I can get the old drive with W7 to boot for me with my new setup? I already see issues I don't like with the new install, all my customizations are gone, settings, programs, games, etc. Is there a way to replace the devices detected into the old HD or can I somehow migrate everything over, or just plain get the old W7 to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

Your friend did not have to reinstall since he did not change the motherboard only the processor.

Tekken

#3 Snowblade

Snowblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

He went from an AMD Phenom x4 to an Intel i3, he HAD to change the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users