Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Base System Device Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

As soon as I startup my computer it begins to popup an Install New Hardware Wizard. I have nothing plugged into any of the ports on my laptop nor have I modified or added to its hardware. Once the window comes up it makes my computer very slow to continue starting up. If i click cancel, it comes back again. Once I click cancel several times it pops up at the bottom right that my new base hardware device driver has not been properly installed and will not function properly. It takes at least 20 minutes to for all of this to happen. This has been happening for several weeks. I have not installed any new programs and I have researched each item in the autorun startup file to ensure I don't have anything out of whack starting up with my computer and have found nothing. Everything is up to date as well.

I have tried to look under the device manager to make sure there were no drivers not functioning. Nothing has an exclamation point. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers there are 3 drivers listed as Base System Device. When I click them it brings up the new hardware wizard again. Under properties it says it is for PC Bus3 device 1 function 1, 3, & 4. I don't know what these are for so I don't know if I should try to update the driver or disable or unistall or if it has somehow been infected?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JESSICA
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 1520
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13 GenuineIntel ~1995 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 7/11/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)