Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what's wrong

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DrifterMiles

DrifterMiles

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

I updated Windows and went to access a program. It then told me I could no longer access it because my version of windows(64bit) did not match with the game client. I went to my program folder and noticed that where it previously said Program Files:(x64) it now has (x86). Not only that but when I went into my external, the same thing. I tried accessing my external program file it it said it was either corrupted or unreadable...something along those lines. I closed it. I then tried accessing it again it it says 'The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable'. I cannot access my external now. I tried plugging it into my laptop. It lets me open it, but I can't see any of the files. When I go to programs it says still shows it has memory saved on it cuz it says 86/256g free.

I don't know what is going on, but I've got some important things on my external and can't access them now. When I plug it back into my desktop it says I need to format the disk...but if I do that it will clear the memory....

Any idea what I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

What did you update ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 DrifterMiles

DrifterMiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

I just clicked on windows update and let it do it's thing. No idea.

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Just a couple thoughts. Try system restore, or get into update history and delete whatever got updated right before the issue started

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 DrifterMiles

DrifterMiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

When I go to system restore, it only shows me the date/time when I updated Windows. If I choose that...it's not going to restore it to the time before it was updated, will it? If not...how do I access update history and how do i know what to delete?

#6 DrifterMiles

DrifterMiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Ok I see update history...everything it updated was for 64bit...so no idea why it would revert my folders to 32bit. Also, why would it affect my external?

#7 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

I have no idea, but my experience has been if you have an issue after changing anything on the computer it's best to go back to where you started. Trust me, there are better computer gurus on here than me. But you lose nothing by trying it and you can always upload the updates again...

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

I went to my program folder and noticed that where it previously said Program Files:(x64) it now has (x86)

There is no folder called Program Files:(x64) in 64 bit systems.

You should have only Program files and Program files(X86) folders

When I go to system restore, it only shows me the date/time when I updated Windows. If I choose that...it's not going to restore it to the time before it was updated,

Go ahead and try a system restore

#9 DrifterMiles

DrifterMiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

I must have a horrible memory then. Also, I did the system restore. It still will not give me access to my external. Also, I went to do my nightly anti-virus scan and it had somehow been reset as if it had never run on this computer. I don't know if that's because of the system restore or the update from windows that may have caused something to mess up. It had shut off my active guard on my anti-virus as well. Went to use malwarebytes as well and it said the file was corrupted so I had to redownload.

#10 DrifterMiles

DrifterMiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

Looks like I have a virus. It wouldn't let my antivirus, VIPRE, complete its scan. Malware found this....

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.62.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.09.07.04

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514
David :: DAVID-PC [administrator]

9/7/2012 1:58:03 AM
mbam-log-2012-09-07 (08-00-26).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|F:\|G:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 698228
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 36 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run|mseut (Trojan.RedirRdll2.Gen) -> Data: rundll32.exe "C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\mseut.dll",IsPrint -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

Access to external drive looks like a different problem but lets have a deeper look

Read the guide here on preparing logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

and create a topic here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

Good luck

Edited by narenxp, 07 September 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#12 DrifterMiles

DrifterMiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

Ignore this.

Edited by DrifterMiles, 07 September 2012 - 10:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users