Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP Client

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

I've been looking around for an FTP file explorer that can read image thumbnails on my server. I stored all my image files up there so that I could view my files from my Android device, and my computer.

Ironically, I can view thumbnails on my Android using the acclaimed ES File Explorer, but I'm not able to view them using Windows Explorer. LOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Cyberduck allows you to view thumbnails of your images on the server. You might have to download a separate plugin or something, but it should allow you to do this.

#3 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

Cyberduck allows you to view thumbnails of your images on the server. You might have to download a separate plugin or something, but it should allow you to do this.

Looks like I nearly forgot to reply to this, thanks so much for your response. Cyberduck looks good.. I've also been balancing between CoreFTP, SmartFTP, and FTP Voyager. Those 3 have image thumbnail capabilities too; none of them appear to be a clear cut winner in terms of popularity, but they look like they do the job.

#4 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

I actually found an even better idea than using an FTP file explorer to view images----through a web-based interface.

I have no idea how I could do this, but it would definitely prevent the server from saving data onto my hard drive in order to view the thumbnails. Does anybody know how in the world I could do this through software????

Edited by Curious Mew, 21 September 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#5 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

I would be surprised if you could find a way to do this without having to download the images, since that's likely what would have to happen in order to view the thumbnails. Finding a web based client to do that, well, that is very improbable.

Edited by evti, 21 September 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#6 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

I would be surprised if you could find a way to do this without having to download the images, since that's likely what would have to happen in order to view the thumbnails. Finding a web based client to do that, well, that is very improbable.

I've asked around the internet about this, and someone mentioned using an 'online document management' software like SharePoint or KnowledgeTree. I have no idea how to use either of them, but apparently I might be able to access my server through them?

#7 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

I've asked around the internet about this, and someone mentioned using an 'online document management' software like SharePoint or KnowledgeTree. I have no idea how to use either of them, but apparently I might be able to access my server through them?

You would have to look into that, because they both look like collaboration software and at quick glance, I am not sure if they support FTP. It seems like Knowledge Tree would be the most likely to support this, since it seems to be a bit more open. I can't tell, either, if they cost money.

A couple of Sharepoint forums:

Official Forum http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/pl-pl/category/sharepoint
http://www.learningsharepoint.com/forum/
http://sharepointforum.com

Knowledge Tree:

Official Forum (read only): forums.knowledgetree.org
Support https://help.knowledgetree.com/forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users