Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need anymore protection on my computer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mjcolenc

mjcolenc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L645D lap top, 64 bit operating system. I have Windows 7 Home Premium Edition on it and windows defender firewall.

I have Avast free antivirus, ccleaner free, Malawarebytes free, and Superanti-spyware free edition.

Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

1) Windows Defender is a complete waste of resources. I suggest you disable it (by disabling the Windows Defender Service)

2) Ccleaner has nothing to do with protecting your system. I'm not sure why so many folks include it when listing their "protection scheme", but they do.

3) I also suggest SpywareBlaster (free) and you might want to look at WinPatrol

4) You left out the most important part of protecting your system: common sense (do not download anything unless you know what it is, do not click on links in emails unless you are 100% certain you know what they are and trust them, do not visit questionable sites, etc).

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

You might also take a look here: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 mjcolenc

mjcolenc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

So if I get rid of Windows defender, what do I use in place of it?

I agree about email links and questionable sites.

Thanks for the help.

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

Do you make regular backups?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

So if I get rid of Windows defender, what do I use in place of it?

Your AV plus regular scans with MalwareBytes is fine

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

IP Protection (malicious website blocking) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. More information about IP Protection can be found in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware IP Protection FAQs.

Those who purchase the full version receive a license key via email to activate the protection module. The license includes a lifetime of free upgrades and support. For corporate and business customers, annual licenses are required. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs. If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.

Note: A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is available as an option when first installing the free version so all users can test the real-time protection component for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

2) Ccleaner has nothing to do with protecting your system. I'm not sure why so many folks include it when listing their "protection scheme", but they do.

I think it's very useful as a part of your regular computer maintenance (cleaning off temp files, defragmenting, etc) which goes a long way into keeping away infections. The better your system runs the more resources available for your antivirus to use to protect you.

I've heard that Comodo Free Firewall works very well with the newest version of Avast on Windows 7 if you have issues with your built in Firewall and need to replace it.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

I think it's very useful as a part of your regular computer maintenance (cleaning off temp files, defragmenting, etc) which goes a long way into keeping away infections. The better your system runs the more resources available for your antivirus to use to protect you.

I've heard that Comodo Free Firewall works very well with the newest version of Avast on Windows 7 if you have issues with your built in Firewall and need to replace it.

And I disagree. While it's essentially a benign utility, ccleaner does very little that is useful and certainly nothing that impacts performance or security of your system. Also, ccleaner is not a defrag and has NOTHING to do with "keeping away infections". With all due respect, your post is completely erroneous in all of its content.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

And I disagree. While it's essentially a benign utility, ccleaner does very little that is useful and certainly nothing that impacts performance or security of your system. Also, ccleaner is not a defrag and has NOTHING to do with "keeping away infections". With all due respect, your post is completely erroneous in all of its content.

I must agree with Allan - :thumbup2:
As you see from my signature, I only use ATF on my XP(Atribunes Temp File cleaner) and TFC on my Win7(Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer) as quick cleaners
Both do not Defrag or prevent or remove infections, but merely remove Temp Files that I am too lazy to remove with M/soft built in Temp File cleaners -

Also using the Registry section of CCleaner can "accidentally" remove some needed programs or files -

Thank You

EDIT -
With avast! as your Antivirus, I would only use the Windows7 Firewall (which I do use)

Edited by noknojon, 08 September 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#11 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

*shrug* You don't have to use CCleaner if it's bad for your system, I was just answering the question about why it was part of people's "protection scheme". Third party apps are often used as part of regular computer maintenance but any other app could fill that space. CCleaner is just what the OP mentioned. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users