Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I clean up XP ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 michael-m

michael-m

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

In the past, my PC was infected with some virus on 2 or 3 occaisions. After the last time, at around £70 a go for repair, I decided enough was enough and installed Ubuntu(dual boot) and usually run the PC in Ubuntu.

Each time I got it back, I noticed it was much quicker. There's a few things that tie me to Windows, and at times these are not working properly - I recently bought a downloaded from homespun tapes, but can't get it to run properly, yet it runs fine on my laptop.

I need my PC to run properly ! How can I clean it up?

Thanks.

Michael

Edit:

Windows XP. Microsft Security Essentials, updated and run regularly.

Edited by michael-m, 06 September 2012 - 10:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

The fact that your system has been infected on multiple occasions is worrisome. Even though you use MSE, there are any number of other measures you need to take to avoid malware (most come under the heading of "best practices" if you will). You say some things don't run properly and you want to know how to "clean up" your system. Exactly what is it you want to clean up?

#3 michael-m

michael-m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

The fact that your system has been infected on multiple occasions is worrisome. Even though you use MSE, there are any number of other measures you need to take to avoid malware (most come under the heading of "best practices" if you will). You say some things don't run properly and you want to know how to "clean up" your system. Exactly what is it you want to clean up?

Thanks for your reply.

To the best of my memory:

The first infection - I was using AVG, tech at computer shop fixed and changed to MS security Essentials.

Second infection - was cleaned up. Although I do have a niggling doubt that MSE upgrade might have been after the second infection - that would make more sense.

Third visit to store (definitely with MSE) wasn't actually a virus (so it's possible I haven't been infected since the change to MSE), I was told there were too many programmes running in the background and they were cleaned up (a bit vague to me!).

So, I'm usually connected by Ubuntu unless I really need to use Windows.
If I do use Windows, I update and run MSE whenever I connect.
I use Firefox instead of I.E.

I also run Malawarebytes - no threats/items were found in todays's scan. I also do a disc cleanup/defrag

I want to clean up whatever it is that runs in the background that shouldn't, even though I don't know what it is (if that makes sense). What was the computer tech refering to when he said there were too many programmes running in the background (I did ask, but this is how he makes his living after all so wasn't too forthcoming).

Michael

Edited by michael-m, 06 September 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

The simplest utility to accomplish what you want to do is Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml).

Download and run it. Uncheck any items you don't want running when you boot.

#5 michael-m

michael-m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks - I'll give that a try.

Michael

#6 Allan

Allan