Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nathan kelly

nathan kelly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

I have a toshiba satellite P745-S4102 and its only a few months old 3 to be exact but i seem to be having a horrid issue with it. The fan runs on high constantly and it seems to be lagging alot no matter what i do and i know its not from a lack of ram or CPU usage issue cause i literally wiped it clean and im still having the same issues any ideas what could be wrong with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 September 2012 - 07:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi, I have seen instances of a failed Heat Pipe in the Heat Sink / Fan Assembly. The Satellite Pro I'm on now had that problem. The heat pipe is what connects the CPU and GPU to the Cooling fins of the heat sink. If it has failed you will get the symptoms you describe. The other cause for the fan running hard is High CPU usage. Another test is the air coming out of the heat sink very hot? That was how I diagnosed mine, The fan was racing but the air was cool coming out.

If the Task manager shows low CPU usage and you feel a hot spot near the cooling vents, Looks like they are on the upper right side, then the overheating is what is causing the lagging. As the CPU runs hot the computer will slow down the CPU to help prevent the overheat. That will cause sluggishness/

At 3 months it is unlikely to be caused by a clogged heat sink. If I were You I would not keep using it this way as it will eventually cause permanent damage.

My first step would be to call Toshiba Tech Support and initiate a repair. It may have to be shipped back to Toshiba in which case they will send a prepaid box. Some models can only be done by them and many others can be done by a local Toshiba Authorized Service Provider. (ASP)
Check for one Here.

If You find a Local ASP call them to verify they can do your model.

One other point, if You ship the laptop back to Toshiba you should back up any data you would hate to lose.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

This reminds me of the issue I was having. The thread is here. I basically had a giant ball of dust blocking the fan output, and had to open my laptop to remove it. Is it possible that this could be the case for you? Is there a proportional amount of air coming out of the fan output in relation to the speed of the fan?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users