Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard & Mouse randomly stop working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Haps McGaps

Haps McGaps

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hello!

Recently i've been having problems with my keyboard and mouse. They just randomly stop responding. They don't turn off, they are still on, but just don't do anything. This causes me to constantly have to restart my computer, only to have it happen anywhere from 15 minutes to 3+ hours later. They are both USB, and i've had them both for about 8 months (They came with my computer which was also purchased 8 months ago).

I came here looking to see if anyone could clarify what my problem is, and hopefully suggest a solution.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Hi

I've seen this happen when a receiver for a wireless mouse/keyboard was plugged into the computer (they can be very tiny) and something or someone is using a device on the same frequency nearby. It sounds like you aren't set up like that but just want to check. Make sure nothing else is plugged into any of the other USB ports.

James

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

You could try also another set of keyboard or mouse or using other ports available. Also try, reinstalling USB controllers and restart the computer. Might also plan ahead if you need a replacement while a warranty is still available.

Tekken

#4 Haps McGaps

Haps McGaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi

I've seen this happen when a receiver for a wireless mouse/keyboard was plugged into the computer (they can be very tiny) and something or someone is using a device on the same frequency nearby. It sounds like you aren't set up like that but just want to check. Make sure nothing else is plugged into any of the other USB ports.

James

Yeah, I am currently not running a wireless setup. The only things plugged into my USB ports are my keyboard and mouse.

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling my keyboard + Mouse drivers as well, and that hasn't worked.

Edited by Haps McGaps, 06 September 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

How about safemode? I wonder if the computer freezes instead of both the keyboard and mouse stop responding... Does that sound different or the same. Usually when a computer freezes with caps light on and turning it on/off is not turning off the lit...?

Tekken

#6 Haps McGaps

Haps McGaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

I haven't seen whether or not it stops working in safe mode either, but I did try starting in safe mode and they (my keyboard and mouse) were working fine.

When they stop working, everything else I have running continues on perfectly fine. My keyboard keeps the numlock light lit up, and my mouse keeps its red light on as well.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hi

Let us know what the manufacturer and model of the computer is and what operating system you are using. Then we can tell you how to check for recorded error events and how to troubleshoot it with a PS/2 keyboard or mouse.

James

#8 Haps McGaps

Haps McGaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

Sorry for the really late response.

I believe I have a Dell Inspiron 620

#9 Haps McGaps

Haps McGaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

I am still very much in need of help.

I've tried running a few diagnostics off the dell site, and the microsoft site as well, both come up with nothing being wrong, but the problem is still persisting, and I really don't know where to start next in trying to solve my problem.

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hi

What is the operating system?

Since it has only been 8 months, have you tried contacting Dell Support?

If you can get a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, you can see if they have the same problem. If not, then it is probably an issue with your USB ports. PS/2 devices must be plugged in while the computer is turned off or they won't work (unlike USB) but there is usually no problem having a USB keyboard and mouse plugged in at the same time as a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

James
EDIT: Someone let me know that your model may not have PS/2 ports. So check first.

Edited by James Litten, 17 September 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#11 Haps McGaps

Haps McGaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

This system is currently running Windows 7 64bit.

And i've checked and there are no PS/2 ports.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

Those Dells typically come with one year parts and labor warranties. Since it seems like a hardware issue, you can call them and they will have you do some tests. I have had USB problems with a Dell Inspiron 620 before and they had a technician come to my client's office and replace the motherboard for free.

Here's the thread about it...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic448069.html

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users