Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista SP2 often stops responding

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 schildkraut1

schildkraut1

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

Hi there, good people of BP. I have an Inspiron 1521 running Vista SP2. It just stops responding once or twice a day. I have a feeling it is just old, this laptop, but I still want to keep it alive.

It happens most when Scratch (if you're not familiar, it is an animation program through MIT at scratch.mit.edu) or GIMP is running. Sometimes IE will stop responding, sometimes Chrome. Last week I had to run the Windows repair because it wouldn't start at all, but I can't say what the error message was.

I've updated everything that can be updated,scanned for viruses too. I know there is some problem with my graphics card not being compatible with IE9, but this has been happening for about two months, and it needs to get a hard shutdown each time.

Any ideas what I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Monitor your hardware temperature especially on graphics program running at the same time. Might as well run the built-in diagnostic test for your dell laptop and see if it reports any errors or warnings after. Have you tried cleaning the inside for some house cleaning?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users