Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my graphics card messed or something else? (pics included)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CloseToHome

CloseToHome

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hey there, so today I was just listening to iTunes and watching Youtube videos the same time, then my computer suddenly turned off. The first time, I pressed the power button and it didn't turn on. Then I unplugged the power cable behind my computer and turned it on again, it worked. However, it got to the "Welcome" stage and my computer closed again. I unplugged the power cable yet again and turned it on. This time it resulted in a screen like this

Posted Image

After restarting it again, the multicolour problem is gone and it shows in normal colours, but the resolution has been changed to 800x600. I tried to change it back but all the text went weird and the background was black with green slits(kinda like the Matrix).

The graphics card I have is the NVIDIA GTX 470. I only had it for a little more than a year!

So before I take into the repairs, I want to know if it's just a graphics card problem or if it's something else. I'm kind of in a rush because I need it for work and it's better than the laptop I'm using now.

Thanks!

_____

EDIT: After leaving my computer off for 1:30 hour, I can change back to my 1600 resolution like normal. BUT, I just received a warning in my taskbar saying something something about my NVIDIA driver stopped working and has recovered. It seems to run normally now, I will see how long my computer will last until or if it shuts off again. Should I get a new graphics card instead?

EDIT 2: Computer shut off suddenly again after 5 minutes

Edited by CloseToHome, 05 September 2012 - 05:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

using the service tag ,or if no service tag use the model number that should be on the laptop somewhere go to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection?fkey=Drivers_PS and get the latest drive for you video card and reinstall the video driver

Edited by caperjac, 05 September 2012 - 06:03 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 CloseToHome

CloseToHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

using the service tag ,or if no service tag use the model number that should be on the laptop somewhere go to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection?fkey=Drivers_PS and get the latest drive for you video card and reinstall the video driver

Ill try re-installing my video driver even if it is up to date. Oh, and it is a desktop, sorry for the confusion!

#4 CloseToHome

CloseToHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

So I re-installed my drivers and there seems to be no problem now. However, with my original problem, does that mean my graphics card is coming to an end? I don't want to happen again when I'm doing important work.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:34 AM

not sure if its coming to an end but it appear to be having a problem of sorts ,could be just overheating ,make sure its heatsink and fan are clean of dust and the tower is getting lots of ventilation ,I thought it was a laptop from the picture,but now I see that's just a monitor .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users