Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why searching for a file using filters it's SO nasty and complicated?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FlyerX

FlyerX

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Sometimes the companies trying to make the thing SO "intuitive" and "smart" that destroy the power of customization...

in windows XP i remember i could specify whatever i remember of a file and i could get straight to the file i was looking for, i could only remember a range of dates, an approx size, tow or three file extension... and thats it.. the search in windows 7 is good, but only for looking files that you know are there and you just want to save time scrolling down until get it.

i have been in this situation various times, but i cant stand it anymore

i am looking for an audio file (a recording of a conversation)
i dont remember the name (probably the default name the recorder put on it [there fore must be hundreds of files with the same names but in different folders).

the specs i remember from the file, or what i am sure it is are:
size between 1mb and 20mb
create and or modification date: between 2008 and 2010
file type: wav, mp3, qcp or amr (i don't remember if i convert it, if i edited it... )

in widows xp i would have found the file, but in this windows 7 something CANT be so simple and when it is forced to be, it doesnt work properly
When i try to use the "SO sUPER DUPER" simple all mighty space for searches in the upper right corner... it only give me options for (despite the name itselft ...) "modified date" and "size"

HOW do i chose a range of date, a range of size various fiile type?
why its so complicated in windows7? it was designed to be so simple that end it screwing it up

what can i do, please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

You could try using a third-party app such as Everything.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

I use Everything to the exclusion of the built-in search tools. It's a great utility!

#4 FlyerX

FlyerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

I use Everything to the exclusion of the built-in search tools. It's a great utility!

that ONLY work with file name or part of it, and i dont remember, all i remember are aproximate size, date and file type (wav or mp3)

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hello FlyerX,

I haven't used the following utility, but it sounds like it might fit your needs:

"SearchMyFiles" from NirSoft:

http://download.cnet.com/SearchMyFiles/3000-2248_4-10909575.html

NirSoft site:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

that ONLY work with file name or part of it, and i dont remember, all i remember are aproximate size, date and file type (wav or mp3)

The file extension is part of the name and Everything supports multiple search parameters. For example, putting this into the search field will list all files that end in wav, mp3, qcp, amr:

*.wav|*.mp3|*.qcp|*.amr

You can then sort by size/modification date/etc.

#7 FlyerX

FlyerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

The file extension is part of the name and Everything supports multiple search parameters. For example, putting this into the search field will list all files that end in wav, mp3, qcp, amr:

*.wav|*.mp3|*.qcp|*.amr

You can then sort by size/modification date/etc.

Ok.... but how do i choose where to find? the program wants to be SO simple that.... ......

the programs opens and thats it, an area to write what to find and an area for results. with no options.. how do i chose where to look at?

the program is pretty fast but ......

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

I use Agent Ransack

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Ok.... but how do i choose where to find? the program wants to be SO simple that.... ......

the programs opens and thats it, an area to write what to find and an area for results. with no options.. how do i chose where to look at?

the program is pretty fast but ......

Everything searches, well, everything on your computer. You give it the parts of the name you can remember and it shows you all files and folders that match the description. The way you do this is with the asterisk character (*). You can insert this character in a name and Everything will treat it like a wild card that matches anything.

For example, if I wanted to search for all mp3 files on my X:\ drive, I could type this into Everything's search field:

X:\*.mp3

Or, if I remembered that the file was in the X:\Foo folder:
X:\Foo\*.mp3

Using the Or character (|) as shown earlier, I can tell Everything to look for multiple things in multiple locations at once:

C:\Doo\*.wav|D:\Loo\*.mp3|E:\Moo\*.qcp|X:\Foo\*.amr

Refer to the Everything wiki for even more search tips.

#10 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

I like using Ultra File Search you can check out the site, as they have screenshots.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#11 FlyerX

FlyerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thakk you guys, i got the file with the Agent Ransack....
i still can not believe how awfull is the windows 7 search feature.
In this days we use gestures with our fingers to use our phones and..... but we have to enter "codes" in my windows to search for a file? nahhhh thats a backward.

Edited by FlyerX, 06 September 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for letting us know you were successful. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users