Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Insomnia - please help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The_Void

The_Void

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hi. :)

I've got a problem with my laptop - it won't sleep. Specifically, when I try and make it sleep, the screen turns off and I cannot interact with it at all - but the computer just keeps going. All the activity lights stay on, and while I can't see or do anything, the computer stays on and will not sleep, leaving me with no choice but to manually force shutdown. Sometimes if I leave it like this for a while, it will simply crash and shut down incorrectly.

I have gone into the power-plan settings and checked my advanced settings, but that hasn't worked. It's just come on in the last few days, but I haven't installed anything new in that time. I'm going to try a system restore now, but I don't hold much hope for it.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

(FYI, I'm using a Samsung R530, 32-bit Windows 7, Intel Pentium.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Franklin1

Franklin1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

First of all good title :) I I have one piece of information that could be useful to you, usually when installing a fresh Windows and before installing my VGA driver my laptop cannot sleep too and the "stand by" button doesn't exist in start menu until I install the VGA driver.

The behavior your are getting is strange (screen turning off) but since you say that it crashes if you leave it for a while I am thinking this is probably some software interfering with the sleep, so check to see if you have recently installed any software and uninstall it. If all else fails try doing a restore and see how it goes, and make sure you back up all your important files first.

Edited by Franklin1, 06 September 2012 - 06:00 AM.

#3 The_Void

The_Void
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

It's odd. Yesterday I took that advice - I unistalled an Adobe update that I installed around the time that the problem started. For the rest of the day (in which I didn't shut the computer down), the sleep function worked fine again. But then I shut the computer down last night, and now this morning it's not working again.

I've done a full virus scan and found nothing. I'm runing out of ideas...

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

Hello,

See this link: How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows 7 Sleep Mode Problem.

I hope it proves helpful.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users