Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chat

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:31 AM

i stop in the chat room here every time i log on...and other than once, i have not spoken to anyone but grinler...not that i'm complaining, mind you, i've learned he's a helluva nice guy...but what about the rest of you? :inlove: i can see you're here...but never in chat! am i missing something? has it become passe? or are grinler and i the only ones here not horribly stricken with shyness? :thumbsup: for goodness sake, c'mon in! the weathers' fine! USE the chat service grinler has so kindly supplied for us! :flowers:

hope to chat soon! :trumpet:

damgud

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:44 AM

Well the reason im never in is I use firefox and chat doesnt work with it. I would have to start up IE and do the runaround. Now I know you have chatted with me and brunt before. Lets talk again today. When I see that your tag is online ill come over if I have time.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:51 AM

Don't for about FF, but the Chat does work in Mozilla.
Does the chat room require JavaRuntime Environment to be installed?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:57 AM

I've used Chat a couple of times, primarily when I've had a problem or a question I needed help with fast. I, too, only have found Grinler in there, and I agree, he's a helluva nice guy and very intelligent...patient, kind, among other things as well. :thumbsup: But anyway, I just thought it was there for quick help. I'd love to chat with y'all one on one, just didn't think it was for 'fun'. :flowers:

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:24 PM

I've not used the chat function, because I only use the Firefox browser, and previously wasn't able to make the extension work necessary to operate there. I may try it again once I upgrade to the new FF release.

Also being on a really slow dial-up ISP has put me way behind the steams in chat rooms often. That detered me from much time in a chat room.

That being said, I encourage all to log in and check it out for themselves.

~Koan :thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:07 PM

Well the reason im never in is I use firefox and chat doesnt work with it.

Does the chat room require JavaRuntime Environment to be installed?

I've not used the chat function, because I only use the Firefox browser

:thumbsup: thats no excuse, you guys! Yes, java is needed. It works like a champ in Firefox. lottsa features, lottsa fun, let's get to CHATTIN' :flowers: Chat-->start chatting-->use web-based chat channel-->fill in your nickname-->wait 60 seconds, and (the first time maybe a couple of other things like OK the publisher to use the software, etc.) go from there

Current Java Runtime Environment is Java J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 and uses 78.07MB on your HD. No glitches like I've found in the past. (course I may be gettin' better at downloading/installing it, too. :trumpet: )

Edited by phawgg, 12 November 2004 - 02:19 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:59 PM

I'll have to try again I guess.I was tested out later.

#8 JSKY

JSKY

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:37 PM

Chat??? I forgot all about Chatting. Got a couple of good chat programs installed and I forget all about using it. Maybe thats why on other boards I see members but nobodypost anything. LOL
Most of the time I have 9 or 10 tabs open to different places, Guess chat doesn't do any good there, and with that many tabs allready open, I don't really want multiple chat windows open at the same time.
Should use it sometimes tho, after paying for the programs. LOL

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:10 PM

Grinler's is free! :inlove: Anyone can use it. If you use IE, you're in quick, no runtime download. The Java is needed for a dozen other things, anyway, on line services of all kinds. I always figure one should understand that Firefox expense (14.28MB) system resource use, should be increased by the cost of Java Runtime Environment (78.07) when doing comparisons with the Internet Explorer expense. It's kinda :trumpet: of me to go on about that, though.

The Chat Room is 24/7 live conversation available here at no charge. Just use it, and as far as having chat windows open... If noone is there, minimize the windows and return to the boards. If someone shows up, you might get a *beep* that lets you know someone posted. I typically have a couple windows open at the board itself, and if I'm idling in chat, that would be just another window minimized on my tray. :flowers:

BTW, I closed this window, opened Chat, logged on, and was ready to type in 65 seconds... I immediatly minimzed it and had this comment posted in 3 min 10 sec. :thumbsup: Headin' back there now, since I noticed several names off to the right who may be chatting right now.

Edited by phawgg, 12 November 2004 - 06:15 PM.

#10 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:07 PM

Took me near 2 hours to download the requiste crapware to get to the BC chat board.
(alibi I'm on a poor ISP with very poor link)

I click on "chat" and it takes another 3 - 4 - 5 + minutes for it all to log up and on.

Using Firefox in a separate tab for the "chat" , the chat forum drops out as soon as I click back to another tab. So the whole game is not worth it to me - until I get to something other than a dial-up ISP provider.

Plus once again the slow reponse of my ISP puts me minutes behind in any chat. - which inhales large amounts of poisnonous air!

//edit// I don't use IE for anything - anymore. One can down load MS updates using any browser. One just can't get auto-down loads unless using IE(crapware). Just go to the MS download site!

Edited by KoanYorel, 12 November 2004 - 09:13 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#11 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 10:41 AM

i love all the response i got here! it is saturday, at 8:36 mst and i have logged in to the chat room...empty, as usual...thought i might at least find a few east coasters! well...it's open, nudge me when you get in there....i would LOVE to meet and chat any who make it...and, koan, i sympathize...i had dial-up for a year, moved, have cable now....but we're looking at moving again in spring...to an area with only dial-up, again..*sniff*..but we'll see. seems you always have a trade-off.
we can live in town, with the noise, lights, and crime...or go back to the foothills and have quiet, stars at nite, low crime, a garden, deer, and.....dial-up. hmmm....

so i hope to meet more of you in chat in the near future...as i recall, cgm3, phawgg, grinler, and i had a wonderful time one afternoon, getting to know each other. let's do it again!

damgud

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2004 - 12:15 AM

Alas, woe is me... I've been in and out of Chat nearly all day. I admit, often I couldn't stay, but left my name on the wall only to come back when I could to find... they've GONE. It's after midnight, east coast time & the night is yet young, but remember...tomorrow's a new day. :thumbsup:

#13 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 05:05 PM

The chat works with FF with absolutely no extensions and only Java and Shockwave plugins. Except there is never anybody in it. Not even Grinler.

Another board that has a chat room has set a publicly announced time. It is open all the time but there is a reminder on the calender and board in general to remember the chat from 9pm to midnight. That gets more response.

#14 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:29 PM

Bluie gave me an idea.

Grinler, is it possible to have a "in chat" button next to the online/offline button for each user?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:37 PM

Unfortunately not. The chat uses different services so would be almost impossible to do. I guess there could be a way but if it does happen wont happen for quite a while.

I am usually on the chat during the week from 9am to 6 pm eastern

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users