Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating Issues?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic467490.html - Hamluis.

I have been having a similar issue. Although I know why it's doing it, I don't know what's causing it. In my case, it's because the CPU is overheating. The computer will slow the CPU down in order to prevent heat build up. In doing so, the resources are spread much thinner, and less is required to use the CPU to capacity. Does the fan blow hard and does the laptop feel particularly hot? If so, you are likely having the same issue I am. Unfortunately, I still cannot figure out why it overheats.

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2012 - 02:25 PM.
Split, PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

You should post what kind of computer you have. Make and Model.

Sounds like you have a laptop, from your message.

Quick thought on overheating laptops, most users that have them overheat, are not providing proper airflow to the laptop. Are you laying the laptop on a bed or something similar that would block the bottom of the laptop from breathing. That is where the intake fan is. Also, you could have a lot of dust/animal hair inside the machine.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

sometime all it needs is to have the heatsinc removed ,old thermal paste remove, and new paste applied, and heatsinc replace, and try using it again

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 evti

evti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

My computer is a Dell Studio 1558, and yes it's a laptop. I am using a laptop cooling pad (the issue still happens with it), which means the laptop itself is on a firm and flat surface.

I might try and open up the computer and try and clean it out. Failing that, I will need to find some way of making the laptop turn the fan on at a lower temperature (btw, the BIOS is up to date).

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

the fan should always be on. It should run faster or slower depending on the core temp. That is dictated in the bios
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

cooling fan pads don't really work ,they just create air flow ,if the fan and heatsinc are dirty it will still over heat ,my opinion based on the one being used in this house by my wifethat I still have to clean with can of compressed air because it gits dusty and starts to overheat

Edited by caperjac, 06 September 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#7 evti

evti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Can anyone point me to a page that can give instructions on how to replace the glue on the heatsink? I am not very knowledgeable on such topics.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

Can anyone point me to a page that can give instructions on how to replace the glue on the heatsink? I am not very knowledgeable on such topics.

sure and its a thermal heat paste not glue ,just for the record .

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hello,

caperjac,
That's a good article.

evti,
You might find the following helpful.
This is from Dell Studio™ 1557/1558 Service Manual - Processor Heat Sink Removal.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

not as good as yours ,I forgot it was a laptop ,lol

#11 evti

evti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Haha so I opened up my laptop to dust off the fan area, and this is what I found:

Posted Image

So I basically knew instantly what the problem was. Now since the removal of my laptops hairball, it is running at half the temperature it was before. Thanks for the help guys :)

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

your welcome ,happy computing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users