Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

I have tried several backup programs and none of them are doing what I want. BTW, I want free. Here's the thing. When I look at the files on my external hard drive, which is where I'm backing up, it just looks like gibberish to me. I guess it's compressed or something. I don't know what is what. I want a program that will simply duplicate what I have on my computer so I can check it out once in a while. Is there a program out there that will backup my files as they are on my computer? It has to make sense to me.

My previous program did just that. It was easy to move things to the new computer. I knew what to move and what should stay on the external hard drive. I use Win7 now. It seems to have a backup program but like I say, it looks like gibberish on the external drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Disc imaging software will allow you to mount the image so you can see (and copy) everything "in the clear". Macrium Reflect is the best free disc imaging software.

Edited by Allan, 05 September 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hi,

A simple backup program that can do file copies or create backups to zip files is Backup Maker.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Nimblewill

Nimblewill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

If you look at the backup image files on your external hard drive, they will look like gibberish.

Windows 7 Backup & Restore has a option it retrieve files without bringing back the complete image. Or you can open Disk Management, click on Actions, then click Mount VHD. Next browse to the folder on you external drive containing the Windows image and find the VHD file. It will open on your computer as a drive (it will have a drive letter). Use Windows Explorer to look at your files, you can copy files as usual.

I think you will find Macrium Reflect Free easier to use and more reliable.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:07 AM

You do not seem to need a backup software. All the backup software are designed to compress the contents to preserve space.

What you need is a synchronization software. Microsoft's SyncToy might be all you want.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

#6 Franklin1

Franklin1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

I agree with Romeo I think the backups you made are unidentifiable because they are either compressed or they are incremental backups. Synchronization software will copy/replicate your files unchanged to your external hard disk and you can browse them later normally.

MS SyncToy mentioned above by Romeo is a good choice, there is also WinDataReflector.

Edited by Franklin1, 06 September 2012 - 06:19 AM.

#7 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

Thank you for all your replies and help. It is much appreciated. Now, I will try them out, one at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users