Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Desktop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 teratosis

teratosis

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hi there,
On my Win 7 system, I start up the computer and when Windows finishes loading and should go to the desktop, the system instead shows the new Windows desktop screen instead. Like it is the first time Windows booted or like I created a new user acount, all my icons are missing, background changes to default windows background etc. However, in the USER folder my old account folder profile is there, all my networked folders and files still work. Nothing deleted. Just on the desktop it's like a whole new system/account.

LUCKILY, I "Ghosted" this drive a month back. I am in the process of restoring the cloned image to a new hard drive. My question is, what may have caused that? And on the restored clone image what should I check to make sure that issue doesn't return?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

While there's no way to know for sure now that you've overwritten the drive with an image, my first guess (and it's just a guess) would be malware.

#3 teratosis

teratosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

While there's no way to know for sure now that you've overwritten the drive with an image, my first guess (and it's just a guess) would be malware.

Nah, I said I blasted the Image to a new drive. Haven't touched the drive with the issues.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Then run full system scans with with both your av app and with MalwareBytes - let's see if they find anything.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

This looks like user profile corruption

go to

C:\USERS

Do you find any TEMP folders?

0 user(s) are reading this topic