Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Set Up New Windows 7 OEM PC's in Mass

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 me55enger

me55enger

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I am a one-man band at a company with one small office (about 20 PC's), all on a domain, and several small remote offices (about 30), with PC's from 1 to 4 per, not on the domain. I have purchased several new PC's in order to start a desktop refresh process. These PC's are pre-loaded with Windows 7 OEM, we do not have volume licensing. My question is, what would be the best route to create a standard desktop build, and what would be the best way to install the wanted build? Since they are OEM, and no volume licensing, I'm assuming imaging is out of the question. I am looking for suggestions for complete user profile build, installing programs in mass, unattended mass installation, etc. Please give me some thoughts. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hi,

All the computers are the same model and brand? Which brand?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

No such version as "Windows 7 OEM". Versions are either OEM, upgrade, or retail types...for all of the varying versions of Win 7.

What versions of Win 7 are installed on the systems you reference? Are the licenses all for the same version?

Louis

#4 me55enger

me55enger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Sorry, Windows 7 Profession 64-Bit OEM. All computers are same model and brand.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,033 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Sorry, Windows 7 Profession 64-Bit OEM. All computers are same model and brand.

And the brand is?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

FWIW: Since the systems are OEM...that probably means a hidden partition on the hard drive, for restore-to-factory-default time. That may be important in your plans, maybe not.

Louis

#7 me55enger

me55enger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

Acer is the brand.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,033 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Acer is the brand.

Ok, Acer is a big brand that uses windows 7 OEM activation. Windows 7 will activated using the BIOS information + Acer Certificate + OEM Key, in this case you can use imaging without any problem windows 7 will stay activated when you do the clone to the other machine.

Edited by SleepyDude, 06 September 2012 - 10:31 AM.

___
Rui

#9 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

I use Norton Ghost Enterprize to do these things. It comes with GhostCast Server that will let you ghost multipule computers at one time. Then you need to use a program to change the computer name (in ghost its called ghstwalk) and that changes the SSID as well.

I am sure there are others you can use as well.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users