Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System 100% CPU (Not system idle)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

PC working fine last night. Dusted inside then rebooted and now system is at 100% CPU. I can't see how a little dusting could cause this. If it even did.

Posted Image

Autoruns shows no new services/drivers
Scanned yesterday for any infection before this happened. Nothing new was downloaded or any any pages viewed other then FB.
SFC /SCANNOW is asking for my SP3 disk which i don't have. So installing SP3 again then will retry.
System restore made no difference
Hiding all microsoft services only left my keyboard service so not really worth trying.

Out of ideas.

System info

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

You're on the wrong tab in Task Manager. Open the Processes tab, sort on the cpu column, and see which process is using the cycles when the cpu spikes.

#3 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi Allen. I'm not using Task Manager. Thats process explorer. No process is spiking. The CPU is coming from "system"

Task manager

Posted Image

Process explorer

Posted Image

no process spikes at all.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

Sorry - just took a quick glance at your first post picture - my mistake. Well, my first guess would be either malware or overheating. Have you run full scans with both your AV and MalwareBytes AFTER the problem occurred (I know you said you scanned previously)? If not, might as well give it a go.

#5 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

I will try run both and report back. It happened right after i hoovered out in side my machine. But surely over heating would not happen in an instant?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

You might have knocked something loose - I'd check all connections --- and make sure all fans are running.

#7 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Reinstalling SP3 has seemed to of resolved the initial issue. I once again got at startup "hard disk failure is immanent. Back up all your data."

Event viewer does not look to clever

Posted Image

All fans are running and MBAM come back negative.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

Reinstalling SP3 has seemed to of resolved the initial issue. I once again got at startup "hard disk failure is immanent. Back up all your data."

Event viewer does not look to clever

All fans are running and MBAM come back negative.

Okay, you say you "once again" get this message but this is the first mention of the HD issue in this thread. Again, check your connections inside the box to and from the HD - you might have knocked a connection loose. Otherwise, it appears that your hd is about to fail and you need to backup all critical data immediately.

You can then run hd diagnostics, but I'd be prepared to replace it:

Hard Drive Diagnostics:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users