Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorite Remote Support Connect Method

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Hart

Paul Hart

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

We can usually get a customer to connect to us - even when they're infected with malware. But sometimes - depending on what type of malware they have - we lose one or two and end up recommending them to a local shop or doing it themselves with a bootable CD/DVD.

I'd like to compile a shareable list of methods or steps to get a customer to connect via remote support.

We usually start with walking a customer over the phone to get to Safe Mode with Networking and work from there. There's some tricky malware out there and this doesn't always work.

Do you have a favorite fool-proof method of connecting to a customer over the phone when they have no or limited internet connectivity?

Any contributions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoreyIHC

CoreyIHC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Try Instant Housecall (www.instanthousecall.com). The standard install works on almost any PC or Mac, and for tricky malware, there's a special download available called the safe applet that runs on any computer -- even if it's locked down or has a virus.

Full disclosure: I'm the owner of the company. Feel free to contact me directly if you have questions, via PM or by phone.

Edited by CoreyIHC, 05 September 2012 - 06:33 AM.

#3 Paul Hart

Paul Hart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. We already plunked down a good bit of cash on TeamViewer.

What we're asking is - what's the best way to get them on to the internet to begin to download the remote support software?

This can be a challenge especially with 1. highly infected machines and 2. impatient and panicking customers on the other end of the phone.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

IMO...if the system is infected, neutralizing that should be the first priority, since much malware affects ability to connect to the Internet successfully, as well as (possibly) damaging/modifying key system files.

Remote support in such cases,,,could never be guaranteed, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#5 CoreyIHC

CoreyIHC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

What we're asking is - what's the best way to get them on to the internet to begin to download the remote support software?

I think you hit the nail on the head above: Safe mode with networking will usually do the trick. There are other options, but they're not quite as elegant: tether their phone, use a Rocket Stick, network to another computer on the LAN that isn't infected, etc.

One option with Instant Housecall is you can pre-install the software and leave a calling card on your customer's desktop (either from a previous on-site visit or previous remote session). You can also distribute it on a USB key, CD-ROM or other hard media and give that to your customers as a promotional item. Realistically, if you don't have any internet connectivity at all, it's going to need an on-site visit.

#6 Paul Hart

Paul Hart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

I very much agree. However, the customer is calling a computer repair business who provides primarily remote support in this particular scenario. We've repaired and cleaned numerous computers via remote support...but not all infections can be repaired online. Basically - what you just said. :crazy:

#7 Paul Hart

Paul Hart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head above: Safe mode with networking will usually do the trick. There are other options, but they're not quite as elegant: tether their phone, use a Rocket Stick, network to another computer on the LAN that isn't infected, etc.

One option with Instant Housecall is you can pre-install the software and leave a calling card on your customer's desktop (either from a previous on-site visit or previous remote session). You can also distribute it on a USB key, CD-ROM or other hard media and give that to your customers as a promotional item. Realistically, if you don't have any internet connectivity at all, it's going to need an on-site visit.

#8 CoreyIHC

CoreyIHC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Remote support in such cases,,,could never be guaranteed, IMO.

Most viruses these days use internet to propagate themselves or phone home, so they don't completely block the computer's access to the web. Can't be guaranteed, for sure, but the best remote support tools ;) don't use Windows APIs for Internet connectivity, so they can usually get through.

Edited by CoreyIHC, 05 September 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#9 Paul Hart

Paul Hart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Exactly. You may be allowed to get online with a certain method with one infection - may not work with the another. Sometimes it could be a simple as having a customer reset IE or double-checking for proxies in the LAN settings. If you can connect and view the customer's computer - that's just about half the battle right there.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Do you have a favorite fool-proof method of connecting to a customer over the phone when they have no or limited internet connectivity?

I don't know what "fool-proof" means to anyone else...but I think it's pretty close to "guaranteed" in my vocabulary. If there is no guaranteed method...there is no fool-proof method.

Louis

#11 Paul Hart

Paul Hart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

I see what you mean. Well that indeed is the nature of the question. Do you have a favorite fool-proof or "guaranteed" method of connecting to a customer over the phone when they have no or limited internet connectivity? We've connected to customers who have tried other techs on a few occasions. I'm sure they also thought that they tried every trick too.

I'm compiling a list of various simple steps that can be used to connect a customer to us via (insert favorite remote support tool).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users