Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Popup Screen with text when logging onto a domain...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

We would like to make it so that when a user logs onto the network (domain) a popup box shows up with a message, the message needs to be changable on a regular basis, it is for a school. Does anyone know of any software that can do this?

Thanks in advance!!

PS - We also need to be able to implement pictures if possible.

Edited by David Ashcroft, 05 September 2012 - 04:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

PS - it could be more of a news system that pops up on login

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Windows supports an optional popup (typically used for legal disclaimers before the desktop will load) whenever users log on to the machine, and they can be deployed over a domain using group policies. See this Microsoft article for details: https://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/02/08/deploying-legal-notices-to-domain-computers-using-group-policy.aspx?Redirected=true

Edited by Andrew, 05 September 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

It sounds like you want to implement a MOTD (Message of the Day)

I did find this Got Something to Say? Display a Message of the Day

Use this HTA to communicate with users when they log on
http://www.windowsitpro.com/content/content/95773/95773.zip

There are many ways to display a message to users from a logon script. If you're using a shell script or a console-based Windows Script Host (WSH) script, you can output text to the console window, although doing so isn't the best way to attract attention to a message. If you're running a WSH script with the WScript host, the WScript.Echo method displays the message in a message box with the title "Windows Script Host" and an OK button. However, the title, icon, and buttons aren't customizable. You can also use the WshShell object's Popup method, which lets you customize the title, icon, and buttons and includes a timeout feature that automatically dismisses the dialog box after a specified amount of time. Although the Popup method is useful, you can't specify a font, change the color scheme, or add a scroll bar for longer messages.

Rather than just dealing with these limitations, I decided to write an HTML Application (HTA), MOTD.hta, to display a message of the day. An HTA leverages HTML's customization features to provide a superior GUI.

I don't know if this will do what you want. I suspect it will however, You'd have to decide that yourself.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 September 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users