Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware - csrss.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lfshadow

lfshadow

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

My computer has been doing a lot of strange things - freezing up a lot. I found "csrss.exe" on the Task Manager; when I right click on it and then click on "File Location" it does nothing (nothing shows up. Also there is no user name or description listed with it. I was told it is malware. Ran Malwarebytes, but csrss.exe is still there. Now what do I do?
I have an HP Pavillion Slimline s5713 with WIN7 Home Premium,SP1, version 6.1
(and IE8)

I went to Malwarebytes.com and had someone start to help me. He had me run "Hitman Pro" which found "3 threats". I posted the results but never got a another reply. I still have the log from the Hitman Pro program.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

csrss.exe is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (Win32.sys is the kernel-mode portion) and the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. It is responsible for managing most graphical commands in Windows, console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment. This process is important for stable and secure operation of your system and should not be terminated. Determining whether csrss.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process usually depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a legitimate or critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there. The legitimate csrss.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder but you may find legitimate copies in other folders such as:

C:\i386
C:\Windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
C:\MiniNT\system32

If found running from a different location, it's usually indicative of malware.

Most of the processes in Windows Task Manager will be legitimate but it does not provide enough information. These are tools to investigate running processes, services and gather additional information to identify them or resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its path location. Most of them are stand-alone apps in a zip file so no installation is necessary.

-- System Explorer provides a security check of running processing using their online security database when you first launch the program. Just press the Security Scan tab at the top, then click Start Security Check. After the check you can click the link to See the results of the security check >>. Keep in mind, that the check is not a guarantee of what is or is not detected as malware.

-- Process Explorer shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom pane either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

Anytime you come across a suspicious file or one that you do not recognize, search the name using Google <- click here for an example.
-- CAUTION: When looking at the search results, be aware many sites may provide bogus information about a file name and claim it is malware or related to a registry error in order to get you to download or buy a program to fix it.

Or search the following databases:If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:In the "File to Scan" (Upload or Submit) box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze or Scan again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users