Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Died During DBAN Reformat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 btbraun

btbraun

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I decided to reformat to rid myself of a recurring virus. I followed the directions I found on Darik's website and let her rip. Everything was running nicely so I went to work. When I came back the laptop was off and now it won't turn back on. Did my hard drive crash? Can it be forced to boot or am I toast? This bites...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nimblewill

Nimblewill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

When you say the laptop won't turn on, do you mean no lights or fans start running?
If the lights come on and it won't boot, that would be because you have wiped the hard drive and there is no operating system.

#3 btbraun

btbraun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Apparently the power went out while I was gone. It powered back up just now when I realized that the surge protector had popped. I restarted it and now it's running again. I wonder if that will cause me problems down the road. I really should have paid someone but Iím too cheap and I want to learn (at least that's what I tell my wife).

#4 Nimblewill

Nimblewill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

You could just run DBAN again.
Your Windows install disk will have to format the drive anyway so any virus should be gone for good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users