Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows "soft" freezes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LordSoren

LordSoren

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

Mod Edit: MOVED from AII~~boopme

Still able to move mouse, windows around, but "Not Responding"

As the topic suggests, I have run into an unusual problem that I have tried to get to the bottom of and am looking for suggestions on what to try next. I am not sure this is a hardware or a software issue but I am leaning towards the later because of the ability to still move things around on screen. I hope I have chosen the right forum to start in. Thanks for your understanding.

What I have noticed is it tends to "soft freeze" after about 15-20 minutes of running. To reiterate, the video still seems unfrozen and I am able to move windows around (sometimes with shadow copies of the window on the desktop). This is often seems to happen when I am doing something in-depth - searching for files, installing/uninstalling software, scandisk/chkdsk.

What I have done so far:
Updated video drivers
Updated Bios
Removed HDD and hooked it to another computer, did chkdsk, defrag, virus/malware scan using BitDefender 2012 IS.
Cleaned inside of computer (was very dusty)
Defaulted the CMOS (as part of the bios update)
MemTest x86+ - 3 passes, 0 errors, 1hour, 50minutes.

Foremost I am not posting this thread from the computer in question but I will provide what information I can.
Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hsVojl26l7Gr8BH64Vw8OyH

This is not my own computer, it was one I was asked to take a look at for a friend. I am aware there is no active AV/Malware software on the machine right now.

Soren

Edited by boopme, 08 September 2012 - 10:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

Sorry about the delay.

The S.M.A.R.T. data reported by Speccy gives some cause to suspect a problem with the hard drive:
Hard Drives
ST3160811AS
Manufacturer: Seagate
S.M.A.R.T
BB Reported Uncorrectable Errors: 001 (001) Data 0000000151
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered: 058 (046) Data 00022EDD4D
C5 Current Pending Sector Count: 100 (100) Data 0000000001
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count: 100 (100) Data 0000000001
C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count: 200 (200) Data 0000000001
I suggest that you test the hard drive.

Test a Seagate manufactured hard disk drive using SeaTools for DOS run from a bootable CD.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 LordSoren

LordSoren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

During a long test SeaTools Reported "66DDE05C".

Started Long Test 9/10/2012 @8:16.25
Your SeaTools Test Code: 66DDE05C
DST -- FAILED - Read Element LBA =- 6443424
Short DST FAILED 9/10/2012 @ 9:06.03
[ 6443424           --          Repaired ]
DST Completed Without Error
Short DST PASSED 9/10/2012 @ 9:06.36
Long Test PASSED After Repair 9/10/2012 @ 9:06.37

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Long Test PASSED After Repair 9/10/2012 @ 9:06.37

Run the Long test again: There is no guarantee that the result will also be a PASS. If the result from the second Long test is PASS, then that will be proof enough that all is good with the hard drive for the time-being.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 LordSoren

LordSoren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

After running it for the first time, I loaded up windows and did a defrag and there was no freezing. I then deleted all the temp files (about 24,000 of them) and no freezing. Fingers crossed this fixed it, however as recommended I am running the long test as 2nd time right now.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the update on how the system is running. So far, so good, by the sound of it.

Let's have a look at the result of the second Extended test, and we'll go from there.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users