Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to deal with alias domain on old site

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brigg

brigg

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Our old site was using two domains, one of which was an "alias" domain.
We did not move the alias domain to the new site, which went live in mid-June.

We did redirects for the old site/main domain, and assigned the main domain to the new site.

The alias domain (shredtime.com) still shows up in search results, with our old website.
We dont want the old website to show up in the search results.

We would like to forward the shredtime.com search results to the new site, but because it's an alias domain,
it appears there is no way to do that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Kansas City Mo area - Central time zone 

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

You can't really do much about what is showing up in the search engines currently.

What do you mean by 'an alias domain'? Do you mean that is is simply just another domain name that pointed to the same site?

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

For search engines you always want to use 301 redirects from old domains to the new ones. Just like groovicus, I am unsure what you mean by alias domain though.

#4 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hello!

I don't know the full definition of alias domain, but I've read that a 301 redirect doesn't work.
I'll see what else I can find out, but the host so far hasn't been helpful.

As for what's showing up, I could develop a strategy to address it - like SEO that would cause our new pages to come up higher - and also,
we own the domain, so maybe I could assign new pages to the actual domain (not the alias).
I just don't know about alias domains and how they work, much less work with regular domains.
I would love the input from someone who knows about alias domains.

I'll ask the host for more info. Thanks for your input!

Kansas City Mo area - Central time zone 

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

If you own the domain, then it is just another domain. You need to set up your name servers to direct users to the correct place. Generally this is done by your hosting company. If you bought the domain yourself, you should be able to set the name servers through wherever you bought the domain. If not, then you need to contact whomever set up the domain so that they can add the domain to the name servers.

It sounds to me like you just have an additional domain name that you want to point to your site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users