Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

S-VIDEO/HDMI

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

HI,I have been looking for video card that has S-VIDEO W/HDMI on it does one exist.
I have a DELL E521,WINXP,SP3,2GB RAM ,NVIDIA 7300GS CARD and hooked up to comcast cable.
The reason i am asking is i have big screen tv with just svideo,i use NETFLIX for some movies,thanks

Edit: Moved topic from Audio and Video to the more appropriate forum.
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 September 2012 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

I assume this is your PC. S-Video only does standard definition, you may want to consider using HDMI instead. Because S-Video is slowly being pushed out, the only cards that have S-Video are rather old.

That said, if you are interested, your computer has a 300 watt power supply, so you are limited. If you want the old and limited S-Video and don't game, I would go for the VisionTek 900231 Radeon HD 3450 512MB. If you want HDMI, I would go for the MSI R4350-MD1GD3H/LP Radeon HD 4350 1GB. Your power supply does limit what you can get.

3939.png

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

HI,I thought i saw somewhere that i would need a 500watt power supply to work with a better
video card,went into TIGERDIRECT. and they have pretty inexpensive power supply's,but if its like
most other things if you go cheap you will pay for it in the end.
Would a 500watt power supply be enough,thanks

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

In the card I posted, it says...

"250 Watt or greater power supply recommended "

Power suggestions vary based on the card. One catering to people who just want to output a video to a TV obviously doesn't need a high-end GPU and thus a high-end power supply. A 600W power supply can power just about anything on the market, from the simple cards to the gaming ones. If all you are wanting to do is put Netflix and video on a television, it doesn't make much sense to go for more than a mainstream graphics card with lower specficiations, you won't see any improvement. With power supplies, you get what you pay for, I usually suggest Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic, PC Power, and Enermax power supplies.

One of the least expensive current generation cards is the XFX FX-775A-ZNP4 Radeon HD 7750 Core Edition 1GB and I think you don't need all the performance it offers for what you're doing. If all you're wanting is to put Netflix and a few videos on a TV, the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1GB is as basic as you can get. Both of these cards require a power supply with more wattage than you currently have, with the 7750 requiring a minimum of 450W. Note that if your PC is from earlier than 2008, you may have a proprietary Dell power supply.

3939.png

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

I believe this DELL E521 was built in 2006,so i will be stuck with this for now.
The big screen tv is about 10yrs old and only has s-video plus P,B,Y connections.
I have a NVIDIA GE FORCE 7300 CARD IN PC right now.

Edited by LOVEMYPC, 15 September 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#6 Bashan

Bashan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Would this work? Install this low watt video card, the stats are 29 max:

Posted Image

Then use this HDMI to S video converter:

Posted Image

It doesn't say it takes input from a computer but it seems pretty friendly. The video card might not be enough for a TV though. After looking through Tiger Drect, it appears all my S video cables stored up on the shelf are toast. <_<

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

I would go for the Radeon 3450 or 4350 as they take less power than the GeForce card above. You can try using that adapter, but keep in mind, you will still be limited to standard definition due to the S-Video.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users