Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced Defective Disk, Cloned Recovery Partition, Bootmgr is Missing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 reknoZ

reknoZ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Greetings,

Someone gave me a Toshiba laptop (Windows 7, I think. Maybe Vista) they had dropped while it was on. Disk diagnostics show the disk (320 GB) is damaged.

I replaced the bad disk with a new one. I started Clonezilla and tried to clone all three partitions (1.5 GB, 147 GB, 147 GB). The first partition (recovery?) cloned fine, the second and third partition failed the cloning procedure.

OK, so I have cloned the recovery partition, but when I boot, I see:

"BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart"

I've googled this many times before and I've never found the perfect answer. I've tried the Repair Disks - no luck. I've tried MBR Tools found on Hiren's CD - no luck. I tried bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot, etc.

In the past, I've thrown in the towel and just used a fresh copy of Windows and then loaded the drivers from the manufacturer's website. But, I would much rather access the recovery partition......

It *feels* like this should be really simple: boot from the recovery partition and let the system reinstall back to factory fresh. But, I can't figure out how to do it. I even installed a copy of Windows Vista on the new disk (leaving the recovery partition intact, of course), to see if that would help the MBR Tools.

Please, how can I force the system to boot from the recovery partition?

Edited by reknoZ, 04 September 2012 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users