Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TV vs Monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

ok i can get a HDTV 32in for 200.oo and a 30in monitor costs about 1000.oo+

is there some great big problem with using a TV with a computer or is it just the normal computer gamer stuff of i can over clock my computer 8 times what even the highest game uses for resources junk?

if the resources really NEEDS to be there then it is ok i guess... but i would rather spend less money then pay extra money for some thing i wont fully use before i upgrade.

i did just build a new comp with a video card (450.oo) with:
core 880MHz
mem clock 1375MHz (5.5Gbps)
mem size 2GB
256-bit

so pretty much if im not going to have lines and bubbles dancing across the screen were they aren't supposed to be i would rather save some cash and get the bigger screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

I would need to know the specs of the tv and monitor to give you an educated answer-but typically, monitors provide a little faster response rate for gaming, but not always, in essence a monitor and a TV are pretty much the same thing, and if the 30 inch monitor your looking at is $1000 then I would say look elsewhere, I know you can find better deals then that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

To be honest, I was expecting to see the prices the other way around, but my knowledge of hardware prices isnt too up to date anymore. If you're not big into gaming and want to kill two(or three! or four!) birds with one stone, then I'd get the TV, then you have a tv, monitor, bigger screen, bigger saving than the monitor, and even still 1000 for a monitor, as patriot says, I'd look elsewhere.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

The monitor will sport a much higher maximum resoultion than the TV as well. giving you much better detail and clarity than even a HDTV.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

thats a true statement-I didnt even think of max resolution, if you really like the high resolution, you can always just use a smaller monitor (say 24 inch) and will still get a much higher resolution then most 30 inch TVs, for far less, and if you want more desktop space, you can get two smaller monitors. I personally run a 23 in and a 22 inch monitor, both HD, for my personal computer.

Edited by the_patriot11, 09 September 2012 - 02:12 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users