Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How disable autorun successfully in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crystalm36

crystalm36

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hello,
How do I successfully disable autorun in Windows 7 home edition 64 bit? I have read different instructions on how to do this and was needing the right one to do this.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-do-i-disable-autorun-windows-7/7ba51974-c009-44ad-9067-f3968744175b

#3 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the link but that was one of the links that actually confused me that I read earlier. There are several things mentioned but what is the right way to do it and for 64 bit version? The hotfix is for the 32 bit only. What is the proper way to do this, I don't want to have to do multiple things and in the end messing up something with the registry which I have no clue what I am doing.

Edited by crystalm36, 04 September 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,665 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

I can see why you found that thread confusing, though there is an answer toward the end of the page. But let's see if this one is easier for you: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-autorun-autoplay-in-windows-7/

And don't worry about 32 bit vs 64 bit unless something specifically says it only works on one or the other.

#5 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Awesome thank you! I will read this and if there is a problem with something I will let ya know, otherwise you know it worked for me!
Thanks

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,665 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

You're welcome.

And I agree this is a feature that should be MUCH easier to defeat or enable. A simple toggle of some sort.

#7 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Ugggghhh and it gets worse! Come to find out the Home version does not have the group policy editor to run the Gpedit.msc. Group Policy is available in Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate, in home edition it can not be use it as long as feature is not there. So now what? Any ideas? I wish I would have known this before purchasing this computer!!!!!! :(

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,665 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Sorry, you didn't say you were running Home edition (or I didn't notice it if you did).

#9 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

That's ok, it's sad that has to make a difference which edition it is. You pay so much for this stuff and then things like that is diabled. Truly sad ... any ideas though how to do this?
Thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users