Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

booting linux from a flash drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hi. I recently created a bootable flash drive with the hopes of trying out a linux O.S. I followed the instructions I found on pendrivelinux.com and installed the files on my flash drive.. I have never booted from a flash drive before and I am a student/noob so any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to change anything on my P.C. just really wanting to run my linux distro beside my windows O.S. I know I have to change the boot order in the Bio's but not sure if when I do if there is a problem with the flash drive booting if I can get back to my system..
<thanks>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

What make and model computer?
For example pressing F12 on Dell or Toshiba or Lenovo when the logo appears usually brings up the boot device menu.
Asus motherboards press F8 when the Asus Logo appears.
Some HP and Compaq press the Esc key when the logo appears. Or read the screen, often it will tell you. Then you don't have to mess with the BIOS settings.

However if you plug in the USB drive and then go into the Bios and set it to be first, when it isn't plugged in it should be skipped and the next boot device will be used.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

After pressing F12 during start up and USB device to boot from will this mean I have to change it back to boot regularly?

Edited by Mr. Bravo, 04 September 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

mr check out this link
http://www.pcworld.com/article/249870/create_a_bootable_linux_flash_drive_in_three_easy_steps.html

and a similar link
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

Edited by rburkartjo, 04 September 2012 - 11:40 AM.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Whether or not F12 works depends on the make and model. However if it works it is a one time selection that only takes effect on that boot. Then it reverts. It changes no settings.

What is the make and model?

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

A Dell inspiron.. I tried f-12 and it did bring up the boot menu... thanks a ton. now all thats left is to try to boot. still not sure on how this happens... if it will boot automatically or what? but knowing that the boot menu is a one time selection is very useful!

thanks Roger!

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

If the flash drive is selectable and bootable it will boot from it.

The drive does have to be plugged in before you turn on teh computer to be an option.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

worked great, thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic