Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting an iPad to the internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mickyholmes

mickyholmes

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

Hello,
maybe someone out there could give me a little advice...

An elderly neighbor has been bought an iPad to keep in touch with relatives in America via Skype but she has no internet connection at home. Can anyone advise me ways in which I can get access to the internet with an iPad?

I'm not familiar with iPads. Can you insert something like a sim card and get access in the same way as a smartphone? Would it be better to get a wireless dongle thing, or would the best option be to sign up with an ISP and pay 15 per month (don't want to do this, she only needs skype and nothing else)?

Another option would be to try to boost the signal from my wireless router but not sure if this is even possible... she lives about 50-70 meters away from me.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

You should check with a local ISP and see what is available. Your friend should not to have to get home service. Some ISPs offer a Rocket Stick that inserts into a laptop to access the internet. Your ISP may use G4 for iPads. You should talk to them.

#3 mickyholmes

mickyholmes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:59 AM

Thanks Frank,
turns out it was as easy as putting a SIM card into it, 10 a month for unlimited access.

Thanks for the advice,
Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users