Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1720 S.M.A.R.T. HDD Imminent Failure

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 qasir

qasir

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

I inherited a HP DV2700 laptop 3gb ram/500gb HDD with broken hinges and screen surround to use in my garage. Originally had Vista which has been upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. I replaced the broken parts and worked fine for a while. Now, I have a problem.
On booting it displays this message on black screen.

1720 - S.M.A.R.T. Hard drive detects imminent failure
Please back up the contents of the hard drive and run
HDD self test in F10 setup
F1 Ignore

F10 from this screen does nothing.
Power the laptop off and on.
Tap F10 during booting to get to setup.
Select Diagnostics/Hard drive Self Test/press enter
Press enter again to "Run the quick & Comprehensive Test"

A dialog window with % complete is displayed, but stays at 0%
Then it displays "Test Status #1-04 Fail"
Press ESC to exit.
Automatically reboots.
Displays the same S.M.A.R.T. message.
This time I pressed F1 to ignore.
System boots up OK, but takes longer.
Does run slow when the HDD is accessed.

I have used the laptop daily for the last month with no issues reading or writing to the drive.
I boot up using F1 every time, waiting for the bomb.
I am not worried because there is nothing on the HDD that I need to save.
I have no recovery CD's or software CD's. Apparently this is the second drive in the unit. Originally came with a 320gb.

1.-Is there anything I can do to save this drive?
2.-If not, can I transfer what's on it to another drive? What's the best method?
3.-Or just simply get a new drive and reinstall windows?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 qasir

qasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

I'm kinda surprised there's no input to my request. I usually see quicker replies to ongoing posts. Maybe I did or wrote something I should not have?

Anyway, I did the following while waiting.
I shut down the system and powered it back up.
Pressed F1 to bypass the message and run the laptop.
I downloaded and ran WD "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics" windlg.exe in administrative mode. (win7)
I responded "Yes" to "Do you want to allow the following Program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?"
Accepted the lic agreement.
Then got "DLGDIAG for windows has stopped working"
Selected "Close Program"

Anything else I should try?
Thanks.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi Qasir

There is not much to say. The drive is on the verge of catastrophic failure and needs to be replaced.

Are you going to get a new drive? If so do you have a way of connecting the new drive and the old drive to the same computer in order to attempt a copying/cloning operation?

James

#4 qasir

qasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

James - Thank you for the reply. At least now I know I have no other choice. The answer to " do you have a way of connecting the new drive and the old drive to the same computer" is yes. I have one of those adapters to attach an IDE or SATA drive via USB. The attached drive stays outside. I'm a little confused because I have this impression the current drive will have lost data due to damage. Pardon my lack of knowledge, I don't know the difference between copying vs cloning. Which one will I be using? Does cloning requires special software?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

There is definitely a good chance that you won't get all of the data off of the bad drive.

The difference between copying and cloning is that you can just open a file manager like Windows Explorer with both drives connected and drag and drop or copy and paste files from the bad drive to the good drive. That's copying.

Cloning is when you use software like Clonezilla or other software from disk drive manufacturers that help you automatically attempt to make an exact copy of the old drive onto the new drive. There are also some command line tools that do this.

The main problem with cloning a bad drive is that many of the programs made for cloning will crash when they encounter damage on the bad hard drive which can ruin the entire clone. Copying takes longer but often when a bad sector is encountered it only prevents you from copying the file that it is in and does not ruin all the other copying that you have already done.

So why would you bother with cloning at all?
Well, just copying the files will probably not make the new drive capable of booting Windows like the old drive does for a variety of reasons (there are a lot of details to consider and it can be difficult if you don't have a good understanding of how Windows loads). If you clone the drive and none of the damage is in system files or system areas of the disk then it will boot up into Windows just like the old one.

If you have an install disk, I'd suggest a new install on a new drive then copy over anything that you want from the old drive.

If you don't have an install disk then you can take a chance with cloning the old drive and if you get lucky, it will boot to Windows (but be prepared for it not to work).

Hope this helps
James

#6 qasir

qasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

James - That is a great explanation of how some commands work. The way you described it, I can attempt cloning and if the new drive does not boot up I can do a fresh install. Nothing to lose right? I do not have recovery disks, I inherited this laptop which originally came with VISTA, than Win 7 installed.
There is nothing on the old drive that needs to be saved. I use it to experiment with chip programming on my hot rod.

NO, I do not know how Windows loads. If I do a fresh install on the new disk,
1- does it have to be an upgrade to Vista? (which I don't have), or
2- do I have to get a retail version of WIN7 and go from there?
I assume the new version will have all the drivers for the hardware it has. Unless there's a folder that contains all the drivers in the old drive that I can copy.

3- Is there a tutorial on this site that walks one through replacing a drive and installing WINDOWS?
Thanks.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

I use it to experiment with chip programming on my hot rod.

Ah, a fellow hacker :)

Looks like new drives are about $50 - $60 at Amazon

What you can do is look on the bottom of the computer and you should see a sticker with the Product Key and the name of the exact version of Vista that it came with.
Next you have two things to try.

1. Contact HP for restore disks (tell them the hard drive said it is failing and you need restore disks). If they give you the disks, they will also have the drivers that you need.

2. Find somebody who has and can loan you the install disk for the version of Vista that you need or use one of these ISO files provided here (I know it is from Dell but this works for Dell and HP)...
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-vista-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx
This will require you to activate by phone after installing. It's easy, I do it often.

Number 2 may not get you all the drivers you need but for that laptop, I think you will be able to get them via Windows Update once Vista is installed.

Next you will need to purchase an upgrade disk to upgrade it to Windows 7 (if you really need to. It sounds like Vista will be enough for you.)

Shouldn't be too complicated.
Pull out bad drive.
Pop in new drive.
Put in Vista DVD.
Boot to DVD.
Follow on screen instructions.
Et voila!

Okay, I know it rarely goes that smoothly :)
Let me know if you have more questions.

James

#8 qasir

qasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

James - Thanks again. That sounds like a good plan. I know someone with a DELL dvd. If it works for HP, I'll give it try. But, I'm getting all my stuff together to go on a four day mini vacation to a hot rod show, NSRA in Kalamazoo, Mich. So I may not do anything else till I return.

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

The Dell DVD will probably not work as they often do a check to make sure that the a certain code number is present in the BIOS of the computer. The ISO files in the link I gave you are Digital River ISOs and they work on any OEM computer.

Have fun and remember to wear ear protection :)

James

#10 qasir

qasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

James - Well I have been back from my NSRA show in Kalamazoo for two weeks. I did borrow a DELL install DVD, but as you suspected it did not work. I picked up a Toshiba 80gb SATA 2.5" for the laptop because I only use it in my garage. The strange thing is it goes into a repair mode and never goes further. I was told the drive was good.
At the moment I'm in the process of downloading the necessary ISO files per your suggestion in post #7 to attempt the install. I will report any progress or otherwise later. Wish me luck.

qasir.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

If the Drive you bought had windows on it it would have to be from the same make and model computer to work. Windows does not like to be moved to different hardware with rare exceptions.

AS I remember, that laptop has a hard drive test in the BIOS. When the HP Logo appears press F10 for Setup and look for the hard drive diagnostics and run them just to be sure the new drive is good.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 qasir

qasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Funny you posted about the HP BIOS diagnostic tool. Yes the drive was supposedly had Win7 but I was told it would not have the drivers and require activation if it did load. And it did not. So in the meantime, while using a desktop to download the ISO files,I did run the test and passed the "Quick" test but I got "#2-07 Fail" message when "Comprehensive" was executed. It stated it would take 63 minutes to complete. I'm hungry and have not started the download yet.
Thanks again.

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi qasir welcome back.

It sounds like there is a Windows install on that disk. When you install the new version from the ISO you should be able to overwrite all the stuff already on the disk. If there are problems with getting it to install, run the hardware diagnostics that Roger mentioned.

Let us know how it goes or if you have any problems with it.

James

EDIT: Oops, posted at the same time as you :)

Edited by James Litten, 28 September 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

That is not a good sign when the Long (Comprehensive) test fails.
When you say you picked up the drive, do you mean you paid for it?

Let James know. I suspect a bad drive.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#15 qasir

qasir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yes I bought the 80gb drive from a guy for $15. Buyers beware I guess. I lose. The only way to ensure a good drive is new from a retail store. Does that mean the ISO files will not do me any good?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users