Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scammers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PcRc

PcRc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

Hey everyone, last night I've experienced something a little strange. I put my gaming computer up on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist, basically) and someone replied via text a few hours later, here is our conversation....

Gaming computer! Fast! Will play all games!!Hello, am lycett I just ad" Is it still available?
Yes
your price?
$1200
Well I think $12 00 is a fair bargain, I would really love to come over and check it out but I am outta town. I am buying this for my twins, they are having their birthday soon. all am concerned about is the condition of it
$1,200 not $12.00
Okay I got to trust you on this. I will be paying you an addition $100 for you to mal it to my kids, since I'm presently outta town. Kindly get back to me with your paypal email so I can make payments. ok?
The condition is excellent, it was lighted used to. CPU never seen 40C.
What about paying you a total of $1500 including the shipping cost.If it is ok by you then send me your paypal email so i can begin to make payments. But i dont think i can pay more than that i am sorry.
Hmmm... Well it will be a very large box and it will be heavy too for shipping.
Ok, can you send me a invoice to cboayayman@gmail.com ?
Ok well I cant send it til tomorrow, is that ok with you?
am sorry i may not be chanced and dont wana waste time with this.you can send me your paypal email and the total amount you want for alll now so i can make payment asap.
Ok whats your postal code?
+2340
that is what my twins send to me
Is that the postal code?
+23401... thats the postal code
yeah thats the zip code they wanna verify the postal code

Uh huh. Well, you little scammer. Do you enjoy doing this crap? Scamming people? Get a damn job, make your own money and quit scamming people.
52 Alaba St, Mushinlagos Nigeria 23401
Look Familiar?
what do you mean?
2348033254789 - should I call you?
Call then
------------
Then I added a FBI copy pasta to scare him off lol.

So the lesson today is, don't think people will offer that much money so easily and always google their details... that's what I did. :)
Hope you enjoyed it lol.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

You were so right all the trademarks of a scam. I know people that will only take Cash in person in a well people area. To many fake checks and money orders.

And credit cards, forget about it. From experience the crooks (Scammers) have everything to use them. The right Name, Address, Phone #, 3digit code off of the back etc.

Lots of good information on the scambusters forumhere

I hope you find a real buyer
ROger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Burney

Burney

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Did he expect you to mail the computer to Nigeria? These people need to figure out a different scam. This one isn't even realistic. Besides the first thing people do is haggle on the price. I would have been like 1,200... how about 1,000. Depending on the specs of the rig of course. Good job not being a sucker. @rotor123 yes cash is king... and even then check it to make sure its not fake money. Been a number of fake $100s going around and they are pretty good fakes too.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

hehe had a similar experience, was trying to sell an old, piece of junk pickup I had (with a blown out motor no less) I got this phone call, this computerized voice, with very poor grammer, claimed to be this old lady who couldn't talk, hence the chat to voice software, wanted to buy my pickup, and pay for it to be shipped to a place halfway across the country. Wanted me to email her. Well I emailed her, just for kicks and giggles, and she wanted me to arrange the shipping, and ship it and she would send money via western union (keep in mind horrible grammer) I finally told her look lady, its a piece of **** and im not messing with shipping it. If you want it, I want cash, come pick it up. Never heard from her again lol. I don't know why this person would even think I would fall for it, I even posted it in the add I ran, that it wasnt anything classy (1990 F-150) the body was in rough shape, and the motor was blown. Who in their right mind would pay to have it shipped halfway across the country? maybe if it was a classic, but its not, these things are a dime a dozen lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

I suspect that if you had agreed, the next step would have a been a check for too much money =, Oh by the way can you just deposit it and send me back the overage and then it bounces being faked or a valid check account and name but not by the account holder.

Edited by rotor123, 04 September 2012 - 10:29 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 PcRc

PcRc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

Did he expect you to mail the computer to Nigeria? These people need to figure out a different scam. This one isn't even realistic. Besides the first thing people do is haggle on the price. I would have been like 1,200... how about 1,000. Depending on the specs of the rig of course. Good job not being a sucker. @rotor123 yes cash is king... and even then check it to make sure its not fake money. Been a number of fake $100s going around and they are pretty good fakes too.

Exactly. I know I'm asking too much for my computer, I just wanted to find a price point and to negotiate with people who are seriously interested. Anyone know knows the specs of my PC would know its nowhere near worth $1,500. I bought $1,700 worth of parts to build it. So I assumed about $850 - $1000. I was shocked to see how easily he could raise up to that price.

I had a bad feeling in my gut since the first text he sent me.

I just wanted to post this story at least somewhere so hopefully Google will index this so people don't get scammed from this guy. I mean, just google the zip code 23401... theres YouTube videos and people telling them to stay away from this guy.

Anyways, unfortunatly... I know there are people being scammed from this same guy (unless he has a like a team of scammers) and hopefully people can spread the word.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

It makes me feel sad to have to say this but if these types of scams did not work the scammer would stop doing it and move on to a different scam.

As I mentioned before lots of interesting reading on dslreports.com http://www.dslreports.com/forum/scambusters

This one for example Craigslist Scam? http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27181877-Scam-Craigslist-Scam-

Hi I'm selling my laptop on Craigslist and I got a reply from this guy and this kinda sound sketchy to me do you think I should still sell it I'm aware that CraigsList says deal locally BTW. Here is the message in question

Hi, Thanks for the mail.i was introduced to this site by a friend at
work and I'm seriously interested in buying the item on your posting
on CL for my cousin 'Richie' who is out of the state and has been
requesting for this exact item.I'm okay with your selling price i will
add $150 for the shipping charges to him........

Or this Part way down the page.
The last time I sold some stuff on CL I added this:

NO EMAIL INQUIRIES. TELEPHONE CALLS TO xxx-xxx-xxxx ONLY from unblocked, local numbers (blocked numbers or numbers outside the local calling area can't get through). Leave a message for callback on that number, specifying the item(s) you are interested in and, if you sound legit, I will get back to you shortly. YOU MUST HAVE THE CASH WITH YOU WHEN YOU COME TO PICK THEM UP DURING THE DAY. Location is a busy, downtown street, with plenty of security cameras. I am not going anywhere with you.

If you don't understand these terms, don't bother calling. If the descriptions and photos aren't specific enough for you, don't bother calling. If you are not able to pick these up in person between 8AM and 7PM within the next week in exchange for US currency at that time, don't bother calling. If you think I am selling a car, motorcycle or boat, don't bother calling. If you want me to wire you the difference in cash from a cheque [sic] for way more than the amount asked, don't bother calling .............

scammers emailed a few days later asking "if the items were in good condition and still available because they were new in town but needed the items shipped with the utmost haste to where they would be relocating in Nigeria due to their jobs with the WORLD HELTH [sic] ORGANISATION." (I was selling some old skiing gear. Imagine that!)

I love reading this stuff, It has saved me a few times.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 September 2012 - 10:08 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

I had a experience too but i a really close one when i posted a mint condition Toshiba laptop on Ebay for $500 and some guy emails me saying that if it could be shipped to a alternative address since the guy was not in the country at the moment. So i was packaging it up but i was stopped when i was told that these were scammers that uses the exact message on new sellers on Ebay. From there one, we requested Ebay to take down our listing and the scammer was being investigated.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

We actually did get taken at work. Fortunately I wasn't involved with that one.

When I started investigating it It looks like the same person got us for about $10,000 before the contested charges started showing up..

I set up some guidelines and a listing of people to avoid shipping to, that helped. It does seem the same person tries now and then. It costs us money in transaction fees.

Glad to see you avoided being scammed.

Thanks for that help too.

Best Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users