Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows time over network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goooner

goooner

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hi,
not sure if this is the right board, but I have a problem on our work network concerning the time settings.

I'm running a server (Windows 2008 R2-64bit) with about 40 clients (windows 7 prof/ultimate(32)(64) and XP(SP3)(32)). The problem is that the server sends the wrong time to the clients. Or that the server time is incorrect and that all the clients copy this time and is then also incorrect. I'm a little afraid to tamper with the time settings on the server, as I think I could get problems if the time difference between client and server is more than 3 minutes. Help would be appreciated.
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:01 AM

Hi,

The server its the Domain controller? Is the server time correct?
Make sure the server and the clients have the same time zone set because if not the clients will have different times.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 goooner

goooner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hi,

The server its the Domain controller? Is the server time correct?
Make sure the server and the clients have the same time zone set because if not the clients will have different times.

Yes the server is the time controller. If I remove a client from the server the time is correct. They are all set to the correct time zone.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

What is the time difference between the client and the server?

Do you have the Domain Controller setup to be a NTP server?
This article should help Configuring Windows 2008 R2 as an NTP Server.

Edit: Also this one Configure a client computer for automatic domain time synchronization

Edited by SleepyDude, 04 September 2012 - 05:41 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 goooner

goooner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:52 AM

What is the time difference between the client and the server?

Do you have the Domain Controller setup to be a NTP server?
This article should help Configuring Windows 2008 R2 as an NTP Server.

Edit: Also this one Configure a client computer for automatic domain time synchronization

Hi,
I think you've misunderstood the query. All the clients have the same time as the server. This time is wrong though. It is 4-5 minutes 'fast' ie. in the future. If I can fix the server time I think all the clients will follow. I'm just afraid that if I set back the server time, it might not allow the clients 'back on' because of the time difference. Thanks for the links, I will browse through them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users