Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ububtu 11.1 failed on install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rootessa

rootessa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

Please bear with me. I don't know anything about Linux. Newbie here in terms of Linux. I have an old laptop I haven't used for a while. Update manager asked to update to 10.04. I did. all was well. Next day it asked to update to 11.10 so I did against my better judgement. 11.1 was running and at 38 minutes remaining it froze and the screen turned gray. After a couple of hours it was the same so I turned it off. WRONG!
So today, I turn it on, it cycles to the Unbuntu screen and the next screen is black and blank with a blinking cursor. It doesn't change after a couple of hours except to say bluetooth is enabled and a couple of similar things. After a couple of hours, again, it just blinks. I know this is vague. I don't know what info to provide but if someone will ask, I'll find the answers. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rootessa

rootessa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

i've determined that this is an upstart page. I have no idea what to do about it.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

If you want to stick with Ubuntu, suggest you download and burn to CD the latest
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (Long Term Support).
You can download from here: Desktop | Ubuntu

How to burn a CD: Burn a CD on Windows | Ubuntu

No need to constantly get the latest release as you have done. The LTS desktop edition is
supported thru April of 2014.

After successfully burning the CD, use it as a Live CD and not install until you have
determined that it will function on the laptop.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 rootessa

rootessa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for your response. Can I burn a Ubuntu CD on a Windows based computer that isn't mine without installing components of Ubuntu onto it?

#5 rootessa

rootessa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

I figured it out. I must look like a complete moron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users