Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Libraries

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 russcart

russcart

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

I am fairly new to Windows 7. About a week ago I upgraded my computer and installed the OS, a clean install on a SSD used for booting and the programs that are normally used. All of the other programs and data, pictures, documents, etc are stored on a dedicated drive solely for that purpose. My question is how do I move, or can I move the Library which by default contains separate folders for documents, music, pictures and videos? Instead of the library being located in the "C" drive, I would like to relocate it to my "J" drive. I would like to save everything to the library on the new drive and not load up my SSD with all of the files normally saved to it.
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

I forgot to mention, there are multiple users (profiles) on this computer. They can all share the common library once it is relocated.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

For whats its worth, I didn't do that I left all The windows components on the SSD drive, 120Gb and larger depending on the computer. the 120GB even holds 60Gb of data files since it is a laptop. Approx 30Gb Free space.

What size did you buy?

Putting the entire Users folder on a different drive will slow down the boot as I see it.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

The SSD is an Intel 120GB. I don't want to slow the boot process, I was just thinking about storage. I suppose that I can maually transfer files as I see fit?
Thanks for the response.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

On my desktop I just save data files to the regular drive. Any Downloads such as freeware or purchased or Linux ISOs, Pictures etc. go direct to the F: drive. My Email program, Thunderbird in this case, is on the Boot drive for speed, The email storage itself is on the F: drive. In Office you can set the default drive to be other than C:

So my F: looks like this, D: & E: are a DVD burner and a BluRay burner.

F:\Email
F:\Pictures
F:\Video Captures
F:\Music
F:\Office Docs
F:\Downloads
F:\Misc
F:\Video Converted Waiting to be authored

The G: drive has folders for
G:Video Authored to be burned
G:\Video for Media Player

And so on. Keeping all program files on the SSD Speeds up virus scans for example

Hope this helps
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

FWIW: The Library files are not really located anywhere...they are virtual files representing all files of a given type, regardless of actual location.

To see the actual file locations...where the files actually take up space...use Explorer view on your various partitions.

The files are not duplicated apatially on the hard drive...in their real locations and in the library arrangement.

Louis

#7 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

If I save a photo for example without specifying a folder, won't it be placed in the picture folder in the library? And this folder is on the "C" drive correct? I can easily specify a folder to save videos and pictures, etc. I was just wondering if there was a way to make it a simple one click process. Thanks

#8 lopezsimmon

lopezsimmon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

A collection is a type of exclusive location within Windows seven that brings together information and information from different physical places from all over your disk drive and even other places. Here's a good example of how this works.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Correct.

The libraries are (I think) nothing but a collection of what could be shorcuts...to the actual files as they are stored on your system. The libraries have no physical location on the hard drive...it's totally unlike My Computer or My Music in older versions of Windows...in the manner in which it operates.

You can use the Search function to look for a given file...and you will see the actual location of that file. That location will not show "library" as part of its location/path.

Louis

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Windows 7 Libraries are shell folder objects (i.e. they aren't real folders) that can 'contain' the contents of more than one actual folder. You can tell Windows which folder(s) to include (or not) in a given library by following this guide: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Include-folders-in-a-library

#11 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users